Purple Shells in January-A Chukar Hunter's Odyssey

There are lots of things one should probably be doing in January, besides driving hundreds of miles, spending money one probably shouldn't, and braving icy roads and ice fog, all in the hopes that one will be able to give his aging dog one last shot at chukar glory.  And hopefully, be able to see this at least one last time:

P1010317.jpg

Better yet, the thought of experiencing this makes each mile build with anticipation:

P1010331.jpg

Unfortunately, for a brit nearing 12 years old, the steep canyons of Chukar country can be daunting, even though the spirit is more than willing:

P1010329.jpg

Eventually however, after miles and miles of staring awestruck across gorgeous basalt canyons and watching your friend's pointers and gsp's run like they were born with chukar gps wired into their brains, it all comes together, and sheer happiness rules the day:

P1010328.jpg

There are a multitude of things one could be doing in January, but spending time with good friends,

P1010322.jpg

watching your dog work his heart out for you, and then getting to set up the obligatory chukar shots:

P1010333.jpg

P1010341.jpg

make it all worthwhile.  

Purple shells in January out of my Lefever 16, on a day I'll never forget?

P1010347.jpg

Priceless. :D  :D

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fethrduster

• Brad Eden

• Flush

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There are lots of things one should probably be doing in January, besides driving hundreds of miles, spending money one probably shouldn't, and braving icy roads and ice fog, all in the hopes that one

A beautiful, memory evoking photo essay, thanks for sharing. ramshotz

Excellent pics and story. I miss chukar hunting, especially in the late season.

My dogs are both young, but the older of the 2 was with me the last season I lived in Nevada, but was under a year old and I didn't see many chukar points from him. The younger dog (brits also) has never hunted chukars, but he would be good at it. I need to get them out there in the next couple of years.

What geneal area where you hunting? I lived in Wa for many years, have hunted chukars on the quilomene, around Selah, and on the Grand Rhonde.

Great p/e! I love chukar hunting but have never done it in the late season (I migrate south, generally leaving chukar country at the end of Oct). Sure looks like you and your dog are enjoying yourselves! Roy

Outstanding PE…….. all inclusive…..landscape, weather, dog, purple shell gun, birds and hunter.

So vivid I can feel the chill in the air from the warm comfort at my desk……thanks for sharing.