Lodging in Anchorage

Hey Guys -

I need a hotel near the Anchorage Airport that is pet friendly - preferably with parks or someplace for my dog to run nearby.   Running trails for the both of us would be a huge plus.  

We booked a Ptarmigan hunt in August and I need to spend a night in Anchorage coming and going.   In looking at Expedia I can get basics, rates, pet fees, etc., but it doesn't tell me if the parking lots are full of broken glass and the bike paths littered with crack whores.   I guess I spend too much time in seedy cities.     :D

Any input would be welcome.   Thanks.

Try this place - it's near downtown, but Anchorage is so small, near downtown is also near the airport.  We stayed there a couple of years ago and it was nice. Didn't have pets with me, but they say they are pet friendly.

http://www.anchorageuptownsuites.com/

I don't know much about this other place that accepts pets, the Puffin Inn, other than remembering that it looked good enough that we put it on our list to consider on our next trip (I always, when going somewhere, write a list of hotels down that look decent to me once I see them "on the ground" for when I go back the next time):

http://www.puffininn.net/html/pet-friendly-alaska-pkg.asp

Doug

I've keep dogs in rooms at both the Barrett Inn and the Millenium (a bit more up scale).  Both are very close to the airport, and both provide shuttle vans to the airport.  They are on a series of running/bike trails that go around Lake Spenard/Hood.  Hope this helps.

You will find bike tails/running trails very close to the Barratt and the Millenium.  There is also a dog park near them.  The bike trail should be free of any  hazards.  I will pm you my phone number if you want more information.  

The cross country ski groups usually use the Barratt for big national championships it works well.  The Millenium is a little more upscale but quite interesting and right on the areas major float plane lake.  Many hunter fly out from that lake.

Trigg

Is the Millenium what used to be called the Clarion? It is a nice place to stay as is the Barrett. Stayed at those, as well as others when I'd fly into Anchorage from the bush!
Wasn't the bike trail where the biker was attacked by a bear during a race last summer? Seems it was twilight...maybe 2 AM.-Too Dogs
Randy Johnson

The Millenium is a good bet.  Nice places to walk dogs and big park about a three or four blocks away.  Nice bar and restaurant in the hotel.  It was the Clarion a few years back.  If you like a big breakfast Gwennies is just a few blocks up the street.  We have a Sportmans Warehouse in Anchorage and several other good stores in town.  

The bear attacks were in a Bicentennial Park several miles away.  Kincaid Park on the other side of airport has been known to have a bear or two.  You could run into a moose anywhere in that area.  I take visitors to airport to look for moose when have they are on a tight schedule.  There are several bogs in the area that moose like.

If you have any other questions please feel free to PM me.  

Randy