Toy Fox Terriers

Well, some may have read my posts about my grandpup Cole--my daughters Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. Turns out he has a new play friend. My daughters roommate got a 8 week old toy fox terrier a few weeks ago and things aren't going well.

Lola is a tiny little terror. The roommate isn't spending the time needed to house train the puppy (or bond with the pup in my opinion) and is doing some sort of paper training which isn't working and the pup is peeing and pooping at will throughout the apt. Is paper training something common for toy breeds? My daughter did a remarkable job with her little spaniel and had Cole house trained within weeks due to her dedication in bringing him outdoors to the same spot over and over etc. Even with Lola soiling the apt Cole hasnt backtracked and goes to the door when he needs to go out. Lola is also an escape artist and will burrow and chew her way out of any enclosure that's not metal.

Anyhow--I have no idea about the toy fox terrier breed. She is cute as heck in that tiny self confident way but anyone have any general observations about this breed?

Brad,

They are Terriers so they are smart, energetic and can have a quick temper. They put up with little crap from anyone and will challenge larger breeds without thinking twice about the size difference. It is a Terrier so it will bit, chew, dig and bark. They require a firm and consistent training.  That breed can be one person dogs. Terriers can be difficult to house train and if allowed to keep peeing everywhere your daughter’s roommate may find it extremely difficult to ever break the dog. Be careful as in the Terrier breeds females have a tendency to dislike other female dogs, and when a female Terrier fights look out, it’s going to be bad.

Paper training goes like this. You cover a very large area (like block the pup in the kitchen and cover entire floor with newspaper) and allow the pup to go #1 and #2 there. As the pup picks up on pooping on the paper you shrink the area of laid out newspaper smaller and smaller to eventually you are down to one sheet. You then slowly move the new sheet after the dog poops closer and closer to the door then eventually you take away the paper and take the dog out when it goes to the door. It takes a much longer time to break a dog in that manner, but it does work.

I hope that helps,

Jay

The foundation of house training is kenneling but dogs of the same breed can be very different. Our 11 year old boykin took months to house train. Using the same methods our now two year old Boykin took about a week.

Terriers are tough. If that semi out of control terrier isn't kenneled when both room mates are gone your daughter could come home to a dead spaniel.

House rules for both ought to be - you ain't home = dog kenneled.

Cole is a male, 18 lbs at 7 months-should go a bit over 20--Lola is a female toy terrier. Is it likely the terrier could hurt him? How big does a female toy fox terrier get?
Is it likely the terrier could hurt him? How big does a female toy fox terrier get?

Yes, and believe me, size does not matter. See Jay's post above. I have a Rat Terrier (very similar, though maybe a bit more docile breed) and agree completely with everything Jay and Gary said. I don't think it's likely that a female is going to actually kill a male (I've just never seen a really ferocious fight between opposite sexes), but she sure might slice and dice him if things get ugly.

We have a toy Rat Terrier that is 3yrs old... I have never had a house dog..she is my wifes... She crate trained her. When she goes to work, bed, or church, the dog goes and gets in her crate everytime.  She jumps around a little or goes to the door when she wants outside...She loves us both and plays all the time.. Catches ball 100times a day...she thinks she is human. She looks at my pointers like they are dogs and she isn't....but she has been a big joy to have around...and yes she is gritty, but very smart and managable.

I forgot something.. We got our dog from Fran's Rat Terriers. Her website is http://imageevent.com/franandjohnnysrats

She has had them for quite some time. She can answer most breed questions. They did tell us that pottytraining my take 2 months or more.. It took my wife about 2weeks at the most and we do not ever have any problems with our dog pottying in the house... Good luck..

Brad,

I missed that your daughter’s dog is a male. Sorry.  

Terriers are tenacious to say the least. I have seen my own JRTs, a brother and sister, turn on each other. Fight was stopped almost immediately. Ginger had a split ear and Hudson had two punctures in the top of his head and the surrounding skin pulled from the muscle underneath. I have had two of my JRTs fight with a roaming pit-bull on my property and never get bitten. I have witnessed my 10lb JRT bitch kill several groundhogs by breaking their neck. The JRT worked its way to the neck and once firmly grasped on and shook until it broke the groundhogs neck. One groundhog she killed was double her weight. Also keep in mind that when a Terrier gets hurt it doesn’t retreat or stop it attacks. The behaviors are bred into them for their work. Fox Terriers are a harder breed then JRTs, meaning a JRT was bred to pursue game down a hole and keep it in one spot. The Fox Terriers were bred to go down a hole and grab or kill the game and drag it out. I am not sure how much of that is left or passed to the toy breed.

Brad,

I am not trying to scare you. I am giving the generalizations of the breed. There are many exceptions to the rule.

Jay

Brad,

If memory serves me correctly they get between 10 and 15 lbs. I could be wrong, but most likely my memory will serve me correctly on this.

Jay

Thanks for info-all good to know. I wont alarm my daughter just give her some advice.