REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
erik meade

light a survival fire with a shotgun shell.

erik meade

Sounds like too much trouble.  I'd probably just walk back to my truck and drive home versus playing Survivorman.

Never been lost in the woods?

You should try it sometime just to remember that panic you felt as a kid.

I agree it is best to be prepared, sometimes the best preparation is knowledge.   That's all.   I am a forgetful person, also I don't pay a lot of attention (for example, the last hunt of this season I went out with a 12ga gun and a pocketful of 20ga shells.)  It is likely that I will forget my wax dipped matches, fire starter, I've forgotten my compass several times, usually after I forgot to take my Ritalin.

I think I will try Davin's technique this afternoon.  I'll see if I can handle the camera at the same time.

Rex Hoppie
I think you should make a stove as I described and try to cook somthing too. Make use of the fire you start.

brymoore
Sounds like too much trouble.  I'd probably just walk back to my truck and drive home versus playing Survivorman.

Never been lost in the woods?

Not long enough to spend the night.

I carry enough gear to spend the night while biggame hunting but I don't worry about it so much bird hunting.  

If you're really concerned about spending the night, all you need is water, matches w/firestarter and a cheap emergency blanket.  I assume you already carry a stocking hat and gloves if the weather is cold.  You probably carry water anyway so just carry the other stuff.  Your night might be uncomfortable but you'll live.

rprovines

Boy, if I weren't on crutches and could get to the yard I'd try this by dumping the shot out of a shell, getting rid of the wad, then opening as many more shells as it takes to refill the first. Push the crimp back down and shoot that mutha #*$*^$+ at a tinder pile. I'm thinking a 6' flame from the muzzle.

Someone go try that. I'm dying to know. It'd work. I know it would. Go try it. Report back here.

Try it.

bosco mctavitch
Tempting, I'll admit...

sprocket
small can of WD-40, spark = fooooooom!

frak

Next, with a beer can opener,

I saw one of those once.

StormsGSP
Are we talking pheasant shells or just your average gamebird shells. My understanding is that pheasant shells use military grade C4.

Briarscratch
I don't know but I've found passports make great tinder.

calgaryrookie
im surprised no one answered you seriously, erik.

here's how to do it (IMO).

--empty shotgun shell (shot, wad, and powder)

--replace 1/2 powder back in the shell, and put other 1/2 under dry tinder.

If you now try to "shoot" at the tinder, it will blow it everywhere.  Won't work.

Sooo, you take a dry piece of cloth (wool works best--enough to fit in the empty shell, but not get stuck in the barrel--a little wad), and put it over the 1/2 powder charge in the shell.  Now shoot at a stump.  The primer will ignite the powder, which will cause the fabric to smolder/burn.  Pick up the fabric and lay on 1/2 powder charge in the tinder.  Presto, fire.

thanks McGyver!

rprovines
See Alex, I told ya we'd fing it. I'll take the sign down now, and you said to send the bill to some Obama guy? Got an address for him?

brymoore
Eric - how BIG is your family farm that you'd get lost?

insanelupus

Get a small altoid tin.  Place inside a small ziplock bag (similar to what some places give you to put your hunting license in), place several cotton balls partially soaked in vaseline.  Seal and place in tin.  In addion place a magnesium firestarter in the same tin.  Wrap with a few turns of black electric tape to keep tin closed and place some tape at your disposal for future use.

Place in pocket of hunting coat.  

Repeat for every hunting coat.

Go hunting.  Never worry about fire again.

thornvalley
This thread has cearious potential.

calgaryrookie
This thread has cearious potential.

searious too.