Sign in to follow this  
erik meade

light a survival fire with a shotgun shell.

polecat
If I could shoot an elk for revenge I would just tell my friends to bring over Brussel sprouts and maybe a salad.

Backlash

Since this is turning in to an instructional thread.

[FLASH=200,400][/FLASH]

gar-dog
FYI, lint from the clothes dryer makes excellent "tinder" for starting a fire.   A handful in a plastic bag flattens out and weighs next to nothing.

rprovines

Uhhh, this isn't firestarter related, but I just saw the trailer for the new Liam Neeson movie, "Taken". What struck me was the thought that, once again, this guy looks out of place in this movie. Then I thought, what movie has he ever looked the part for? WTF is up with that?

That guy would suck at burning out woodchucks or torching brushpiles. Real man woulda used gasoline. Guess I'd expect that from someone with cotton balls, though.

PartridgeCartridge

Hey Backlash,

I just tried the video trick. Not as easy or as painless as it looks.

So, now that the question has been answered, what is the best load for starting a shotgun shell fire?

The question has not been answered.

I went out and tried Magyver Davin's method.  All I got was some blackened wool on the stump and a bunch of unburned powder poured out of the barrel.   I tried with a lot of wool, a little wool, tamped tight, loose,  I couldn't get the wool to even give a hint that it was going to ember.

I think that Davin is just making stuff up.

I have video I could probably email or post later.

Well then unless you have lots of time on your hands to continue experimenting with this, I'd say just pack a film canister with dryer lint, add a magnesium stick, throw it in a plastic bag and call it good. Won't take up any more room than a couple shells.

Moving on, what size load would you need if you came across ManBearPig?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfGmf8L3-z0

RookieEP
Well Erik, it is a good thing your life didn't depend on the wool and powder method. If you cannot be implored to not get lost, I at least implore you to carry an alternative form of fire starter.

Otherwise, the old (unfunny) Rookie was once lost and called 911. He followed the blaring sirens to the road. I am sure the local law enforcement had nothing better to do. Just bring your cell phone and a healthy dose of panic.

Hey get your story straight.  The sheriff was not using his sirens (was supposed to) but I could hear the Crown Victoria V8 shifting and accelerating in the distance.  While I waited for the sheriff to find me.  I made a very nice fire w/ matches sealed in a ziplock bag.  During the fire making process I declared a mutiny on Nelly as she proceeded to eat all my snacks out of my vest.  A cell phone is a thing of beauty. Of course my wife was in Chicago shopping and didn't pick up.. while I was lost.

nobirdshere
REP - sorry, that was somewhat unfair of me to say. That story is actually pretty funny.

SydneyWI

I know right where he was lost. We should try to retrace that on Saturday and then see if

1. we can light a fire using shotgun shells and lint (I propose using gasoline also), and

2. If the Sheriff will use his sirens when he comes to rescue   us.

3. See if in fact German dogs eat more snacks from vests than Setters. And finally,

4. How far will a Subaru travel on a snowmobile trail?

4. How far will a Subaru travel on a snowmobile trail?

Not far. Been there.

erik meade
Well then unless you have lots of time on your hands to continue experimenting with this, I'd say just pack a film canister with dryer lint,...

I'm teaching Tuesdays/ Thursday schedule this semester...

You still use film?

You still use film?

Haven't for years, just keep a few canisters around for such things...

RookieEP

REP - sorry, that was somewhat unfair of me to say. That story is actually pretty funny.

Yeah I'll never forget that WI grouse hunt.  Actually was my first time seeing grouse, I was so caught up with seeing birds and Nelly pointing grouse for the first time I kept going deeper into the woods.  As the sun started to set I thought well I'm pretty sure I'm on the right logging road, but the problem being I still didn't know which way to go. Admitted I was lost to myself check my cell phone it was roaming dialed 911 and hit enter.  The nice dispatcher said something or another I replied "hi I'm lost."  The sheriff later told me that some of them wanted to send the whole search party after me.. meaning the dogs, helicopter the works, but he and some other guys talked them out of it as I had the cell and was on some logging road.  Thank god they didn't send the whole nine yards..

Syd-  I think that is where I parked when I got lost but I can assure I was at least 6 or 7 miles away from that area when found.  The crazy thing I've never been able to find that spot again..  Oh by the way just b/c you have a fancy SxS and a Gordon doesn't mean you get to poach my covers.  Actually go hit that spot work towards the river come winter the grouse really bunch up.. should at least be one big group/covey (correct term for bunch of grouse in one spot?)

You guys still hunting suck by the way..

rprovines

I'm thinking that if you doused Manbearpig with a little gas, or the cave in which he lives, and then shot it with that load I recommended that no-one will try, you'd be good to go.

Or, you could just let some plastic melt in gasoline and then make Molotovs out of them and go with that.

Either way, take some gasoline along. We'll always have a need for gasoline for brushpile burnings, bunny blazings, woodchuck exploding, and Manbearpigs.

rprovines

Yeah I'll never forget that WI grouse hunt.  Actually was my first time seeing grouse, I was so caught up with seeing birds and Nelly pointing grouse for the first time I kept going deeper into the woods.  As the sun started to set I thought well I'm pretty sure I'm on the right logging road, but the problem being I still didn't know which way to go. Admitted I was lost to myself check my cell phone it was roaming dialed 911 and hit enter.  The nice dispatcher said something or another I replied "hi I'm lost."  The sheriff later told me that some of them wanted to send the whole search party after me.. meaning the dogs, helicopter the works, but he and some other guys talked them out of it as I had the cell and was on some logging road.  

Boy, it's really gotta hurt to admit that. I admire that. I find it humiliating for your sake, but I admir..... No I don't.

Still, if I'm ever that lost,  I hope I have a cell signal and they find me with as much ease. But no-one will ever hear of it from my lips.