Sign in to follow this  
erik meade

light a survival fire with a shotgun shell.

whdtt

So i may have made an error.  Wool in fact does not "burn" very easily per se, but will singe (hence my recommendation for it as a fire starter).  I would try polyester or cotton along side it.  Make sure that you "pick" at the fabric a bit to get loose-ish frayed hairs for the fire to ignite.  It also depends on the amount of powder in the shell...try getting some on the fabric "wad" to spark it up a bit.  

Hey i didn't say i've tried it, but i did read it once.

I'm thinking that if you doused Manbearpig with a little gas, or the cave in which he lives, and then shot it with that load I recommended that no-one will try, you'd be good to go.

Or, you could just let some plastic melt in gasoline and then make Molotovs out of them and go with that.

Either way, take some gasoline along. We'll always have a need for gasoline for brushpile burnings, bunny blazings, woodchuck exploding, and Manbearpigs.

Good thinking. I've also heard tell that tofu acts like Kryptonite on ManBearPig.

Come to think of it, it has a similar effect on me.

WyomingArt

road flare= firestarter

Or other choice like a guy I know who said " I stop the truck on a log road, play out my winch cable as far as it'll go, take 2 more steps and plunk down my lawn chair. Then I'm ready to elk hunt."

erik meade
So i may have made an error.  Wool in fact does not "burn" very easily per se, but will singe (hence my recommendation for it as a fire starter).  I would try polyester or cotton along side it.  Make sure that you "pick" at the fabric a bit to get loose-ish frayed hairs for the fire to ignite.  It also depends on the amount of powder in the shell...try getting some on the fabric "wad" to spark it up a bit.  

Hey i didn't say i've tried it, but i did read it once.

should I dip that cotton-poly blend in gasoline first, per Ron's suggestion?

rprovines
Only bad thing about gasoline is that you about have to store it in a glass container. I carry several baby food jars in my hunting vest full of gas in case I run across an errant Manbearpig, torch a rabbit's brushpile, or set the pheasant field on fire. This works great and eliminates the need for blockers at the end of the field. Light the fire at the far end of the field so that the wind carries it, outrun the flames to the other end and wait. Only good for one time a year though, I usually save it for the tail end of the season when the birds get spooky.

bobman

better yet get a small peanut butter jar and fill it with cotton soaked in gasoline, now take the lid drill two holes in it and solder a spark plug in one hole and a tire fill stem in the other hole seal it good. Next take it and put some teflon tape on the threads and then screw your now modified lid the top of the jar. Take a bicycle pump and pressurize it ( do this slowly or the heat will cause detonation and instant death :ghostface: ).

Now attached some wire to plug LOOOONG wires and get your trolling battery out(you do have a trolling battery in your survival kit dont you Eric?)

Put it under the brush pile mentioned above and detonate, you wil have an instant fire cooked rabbits and your hearing will come back in a few days ( well it will if you are behind a big tree when you touch it off).

AND PLEASE THIS IS IN JEST SO DO NOT DO IT.

I WAS LUCKY TO SURVIVE THIS FOOLISH ACT AS A BOY

the only emergency stuff I carry nowadays is baby wipes and a cell phone :D

Backlash
an errant Manbearpig

Is this an errant Manbearpig or are the offspring errant?  Either way, some sort of firestarter may be called for if not out right explosives.

manbearpig.jpg

erik meade
(you do have a trolling battery in your survival kit dont you Erik?)

Well it doesn't fit in my survival kit.  I usually just throw toss it in my game bag (when I remember, sometimes I do forget I admit)  I switched to a sealed, gel mat trolling battery a couple of years ago.  Much lighter, and I don't have to worry about the lead acid leaking out onto the birds.  I mean why go to all the trouble of preserving the meat with #9 shot only to spill battery acid?

I do not carry long wire, though.

mshowman
If you do this near dusk it can be a pretty impressive light display.

I'll tell you what else makes a pretty impressive light show at dusk. Take a small shovel, the kind my wife uses in her flower beds, and open 3 or 4 holes in various locations along mole tunnnels. Dump about half a cup of gasoline in each hole and give it time for the vapor to travel throughout the tunnels. Then, just as darkness is setting in, light a match to the tunnels.

After a brief rumbling sound the flames will start up through the grass. You have to be careful because dry grass will catch on fire and the neighbors get nervous. And if your wife is a lawn Nazi, like mine is, you're in a lot of trouble. But it is well worth it. This is even better than putting gas in a ground hornet's nest and doesn't blow nearly as big a hole in the ground.

But back to the original question... I was once out hunting, couldn't make it back, and needed to make a fire. I opened the emergency can of dog food because the dog can be a real pain when he's hungry. Then I leaned back, admiring the stars and thinking about how much more peaceful it was under that open sky than it would be at home listening to my wife complain about all the burrs in the dog and how I should have cleaned him up before allowing him into the bed. I poured a wee dram of nourishment from the flask and began puffing on a good cigar. The stars were bright, the dog and I both content, and life was good.

I'm sorry, what was the problem again?

Rex Hoppie

..........Hey i didn't say i've tried it, but i did read it once.

That is funny, but I understand it.

rprovines

I'll tell you what else makes a pretty impressive light show at dusk. Take a small shovel, the kind my wife uses in her flower beds, and open 3 or 4 holes in various locations along mole tunnnels. Dump about half a cup of gasoline in each hole and give it time for the vapor to travel throughout the tunnels. Then, just as darkness is setting in, light a match to the tunnels.

Why the *#$& did I never think of this. Personally I'm good with the moles, rather have them than the winged kamikazes that the grubs they're after become, but the wife hates the moles. Dude, I am so gonna help her out next spring. You're my current hero. Followed closely by Tommy. Bobman would be a hero too, but he lost me after 'spark plug'.

erik meade

The problem was that you didn't tell us how you made the fire.

rprovines

Erik, that's the point, he didn't need a fire. Was happy without it. So was the dog. No fire required.

Probably didn't have any gas.

mshowman

The problem was that you didn't tell us how you made the fire.

I only needed fire to light the cigar and I used the book of matches I had in the zip lock bag. They were free and came from an oyster joint I sometimes visit. I don't recall the initial post saying anything about not having matches.

erik meade
I don't recall the initial post saying anything about not having matches.

Look again Mike.