light a survival fire with a shotgun shell.

Since no self-worthy outdoorsman would think to leave home without an empty fire extinguisher, plumbing pipe, 3 gallons of gasoline, and a compressor, this contraption should do the trick.  

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• erik meade

• rprovines

• brymoore

• Backlash

Time for me to throw a mooneywrench (kinda like a monkey wrench but throws less poop) and give you a new firestarting method.

9V battery and steel wool.  Fluff up the steel wool and touch the 9V to it.  Steel wool works great for tinder with flint and steel too.

Note to those who may have occasion to judge a Boy Scout firestarting competition: When you see a patrol of genius looking fellows using steel wool for tinder, check up their sleeve for a 9V battery taped to their wrist.....

I've also made fire with a firebow setup as was posted above.  It's a workout but it does the job.

You can also make fuzz sticks:

fuzz_sticks.gif

Moonery,  Are you still involved in Boy Scouts?

If so, maybe you could answer a question.

Don't they have something in the motto or book of rules or the semaphore code or something that tells kids that they should be fair in their business dealings?

Then why are you guys teaching young boys that it is acceptable to charge $9 for the tinyest little tin of caramel popcorn.  It was the cheapest thing on the list to order.  And I spent $18 (cause I had to order from two kids) and I ended up with about a 3 minute snack worth of popcorn.  I feel cheated by a Boy Scout.

My daughter's Girl Scout cookies are only $3.50 a box. and people actually like those.   Really, the best thing that the caramel popcorn is good for is as a fire starter.

I'm currently not active and those were Cub Scouts probably selling the popcorn, at least the ones that hosed me for $18 were Cub Scouts.

I gave them the standard speech about what a great program their in and I'll buy popcorn if they promise to stay with it and become Eagle Scouts because it taught me so many things and has had a positive impact on my life.  I was feeling pretty smug until those little bastages got me to buy the big tin......

So all my Eagle Scout training did not teach me to avoid being swindled by two 9 year olds.

I gave them the standard speech about what a great program their in and I'll buy popcorn if they promise to stay with it and become Eagle Scouts because it taught me so many things and has had a positive impact on my life.  

But you still have no *$%&+$~ answer as to how light a fire with a shotgun and shell. Wasted time....

You guys still trying to light Meade's fire?

It makes me feel dirty when you say it that way.

I gave them the standard speech about what a great program their in and I'll buy popcorn if they promise to stay with it and become Eagle Scouts because it taught me so many things and has had a positive impact on my life.  

But you still have no *$%&+$~ answer as to how light a fire with a shotgun and shell. Wasted time....

I don't need no steeenkin shotgun shell.  

BSA fire starting competitions, you get two matches.  I light my fires with one.

Yes I rock.  Yes I have mad skillz.

It's a moot point because I have the matches with me when I go afield.

Oh yeah? I hope it rains like a cow peein' on a flat rock next time you need a fire in the woods.

Yeah I hope so too so I can kill the cow and use it innards for kindling and have a smoked brisket to feed to the rescuers.

uhhhhhhhhhhhhhh got nothing to add after that...... in fact the image is disturbing

Dude, you've hunted with Tedder's Gang, what could possibly disturb you after that?

PartridgeCartridge
So now we are trying to light cow innards on fire? I never cease to be amazed at the collective will of you guys.
So now we are trying to light cow innards on fire? I never cease to be amazed at the collective will of you guys.

"Head for the colon first!" (if I can borrow the battle cry of Tedder's Gang)  

It's full of methane and burns like a: "Bad Muthata, shut yo mouth"

Yeah, but you gotta be careful. Cows produce a lot of methane. If you're not careful, one emergency fire could send you flying from Pennsylvania to Vermont...nonstop.

Not to mention all the global warming caused by the sudden release of carbon dioxide. :D