light a survival fire with a shotgun shell.

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• erik meade

• rprovines

• brymoore

• Backlash

You see m ducks?

M R not duks.

OSAR

CDEDBD WINGS

Y I B. M R duks. C M fly.

Is this a sign we may have spent too much time exposed to Apalachican humor?

Wow. Just that quick. I was posting a reply in the current event thread, the one about non-taxpaying politicos, and bam, message popped up. Came back in, and it was gone. Relief being back on.... wait, which side of the mirror are we on again? Damned jabberwocks. To arms!
Can you start a fire with a shotgun shell and corn?

Seems to me that if you were shooting steel shot into flint, and the corn was in the form of ethenol, you just might have a chance of creating a fire.

O.K.  So I need to remember to carry ethanol and gasoline now...

This is all very difficult for my tiny little brain to process. You see, we have employees of the fire department around here every week telling us how to keep from starting fires. Don't use cell phones around gas pumps. Keep all combustible liquids in a fire proof cabinet. Don't switch on a light if the odor of gas is detected. Don't let paper or rags accumulate. Don't leave Christmas tree lights turned on. Don't use a torch to dry off a pitch roof (OK, it happened). Don't use a torch to burn paint off a building (yep, that too).

Listening to them I have to believe that it is really easy to start a fire. Do you suppose they're bluffing? Could it just be a ploy to maintain their job security? Surely with all the Genius (am I allowed to say that?) around here we can come up with a way to start a freakin' fire!

True story... I once was deer hunting with an old timer in Pennsylvania. It was an area with a lot of gas wells and there were steel gas lines running on top the ground. The weather was cold and snowy. All of a sudden the guy pulled out his lighter and started a fire at a leak in the gas line. After we warmed our hands over the flame he packed some snow over the leak and put the fire out. I was about 14 years old at the time and I have to tell you, my heart missed a beat when that flame first appeared. The old guy had been doing that all his life and he lived into his 80s.

Wow. Just that quick. I was posting a reply in the current event thread, the one about non-taxpaying politicos, and bam, message popped up. Came back in, and it was gone. Relief being back on.... wait, which side of the mirror are we on again? Damned jabberwocks. To arms!

That is the best result, when a thread is blown away while you are posting, because you know what happened and when it happened.

When a thread is axed, and you can't remember the name of it, and you are looking for it, you waste time figureing it out.

An itchy fingered monitor wanted to kill something.

I must have missed the memo about you being promoted to Chairman of the Monitoring the Moderators Committee. I can always count on you to bring it to the attention of the viewing public. You are awesome yet predicable.

I must have missed the memo about you being promoted to Chairman of the Monitoring the Moderators Committee. I can always count on you to bring it to the attention of the viewing public. You are awesome yet predicable.

I put that memo out in 2007, if you missed it then you need to do a better job monitoring.

1pred·i·ca·ble  

Pronunciation: \ˈpre-di-kə-bəl\

Function: noun

Etymology: Medieval Latin praedicabile, from neuter of praedicabilis

Date: 1551

: something that may be predicated ; especially : one of the five most general kinds of attribution in traditional logic that include genus, species, difference, property, and accident

2pred·i·cate  

Pronunciation: \ˈpre-də-ˌkāt\

Function: transitive verb

Inflected Form(s): pred·i·cat·ed; pred·i·cat·ing

Etymology: Late Latin praedicatus, past participle of praedicare to assert, predicate logically, preach, from Latin, to proclaim, assert — more at preach

Date: circa 1552

1 a: affirm , declare barchaic : preach

2 a: to assert to be a quality, attribute, or property —used with following of b: to make (a term) the predicate in a proposition

3: found , base —usually used with on

4: imply