light a survival fire with a shotgun shell.

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• erik meade

• rprovines

• brymoore

• Backlash

So, now that the question has been answered, what is the best load for starting a shotgun shell fire?

The question has not been answered.

I went out and tried Magyver Davin's method.  All I got was some blackened wool on the stump and a bunch of unburned powder poured out of the barrel.   I tried with a lot of wool, a little wool, tamped tight, loose,  I couldn't get the wool to even give a hint that it was going to ember.

I think that Davin is just making stuff up.

I have video I could probably email or post later.

Wool doesn't burn, try cotton.

Davin said wool is best.  He is a Ph.D. candidate science guy who is in the lab, probably.  

But I can try cotton tomorrow.

Erik, I am assuming that if you are lost and need to start a fire while bird hunting you will also have your dog with you.  Batteries from the ecollar or transmitter can be used to make a spark to ignite your pile of powder. My transmitter uses 9 volt batteries and I spent many a misguided youthful moment starting fires using 9 volts and steel wool.
I don't own an e-collar,  never used one.  I just have misbehaving dogs.

I don't own an e-collar,  never used one.  I just have misbehaving dogs.

What about a beeper?  I recall you were concerned leaving one or the other in your pocket would set off a shell.  Please clarify.

EDIT: Found the thread. It was an ecollar for an electric fence.

Well Erik, it is a good thing your life didn't depend on the wool and powder method. If you cannot be implored to not get lost, I at least implore you to carry an alternative form of fire starter.

Otherwise, the old (unfunny) Rookie was once lost and called 911. He followed the blaring sirens to the road. I am sure the local law enforcement had nothing better to do. Just bring your cell phone and a healthy dose of panic.

Just bring your cell phone and a healthy dose of panic.

Unfunny Rookie listens to WSP while hunting? No wonder he was lost!