light a survival fire with a shotgun shell.

Need to burn some brushpiles this weekend after the snow.Any tips on what to use or mix to keep the brush burning.No tires. Gas and oil? deisel and oil ?Any tips ? need to burn down some piles from trimming hedges and such to make room for next summer? Sorry for the deviation.
  • Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• erik meade

• rprovines

• brymoore

• Backlash

Sadly, that job sounds too big to extract grains of powder from shotgun shells and attempt to ignite your brush pile with a primer. I have no other ideas.

Backlash, I dunno, but I assume anyone lost in the bush and still listening to WSP probably has a lighter with them.

I sometimes listen to NPR while driving to, or from hunting. I have no idea what WSP is, but I don't really recommend NPR either. I have been lost several times while listening to NPR, though only metaphoricalalogically speaking.

After reading Earache's previous linky, I recommend non-dairy creamer to keep your fires...uh...fiery.

Have I ever told you guys the story about the old Fire Tower that used to be in my favorite grouse woods? No? Well remind me to do so sometime. Although it is a MUCH better story AS TOLD vs. written. I can never get the required Appalachian accent down properly in written form.

Need to burn some brushpiles this weekend after the snow.

Why do you hate rabbits? What'd they ever do to you? Elmer Fudd complex?

TV, lemme guess, it burned?

Polecat, if you must incinerate the rabbits in those bruspiles, use gasoline, lots of it. Pour it on, lay a long... I said a LONG.. trail of gas to it. Can you believe that something as porous as a brushpile would hold gasoline fumes? I've lit a few that the initial explosion lifted the whole brushpile from the ground. #$*%&+%*~ impressive.

I said a looooong trail.

I don't own an e-collar,  never used one.  I just have misbehaving dogs.

What about a beeper?  I recall you were concerned leaving one or the other in your pocket would set off a shell.  Please clarify.

EDIT: Found the thread. It was an ecollar for an electric fence.

Let me correct,  I do own an e-collar, but only the kind that goes with the invisible fence in the yard.

If were to carry that with me, I would have no way to set it off.  Unless, perhaps, someone happened to bury an invisible fence wire in the woods where I was lost.

Can you believe that something as porous as a brushpile would hold gasoline fumes?

I wouldn't have thought it, but I believe it, because you tried it and told us so.

Why were you killing rabbits?

Backlash, I dunno, but I assume anyone lost in the bush and still listening to WSP probably has a lighter with them.

How true, how true.....

Unless, perhaps, someone happened to bury an invisible fence wire in the woods where I was lost.

Never know, could happen.

Polecat, gasoline works great too if you have any woodchucks or other burrowing nuisances around. Make the dogs stay at the house. Heh, heh, good thing my first Springer was pretty bold. Even after the blast. Pour a suitable amount of gas down each each burrow hole you can find. I base this quantity on how far apart the holes are. 20' apart, might be a 2 or 3 splasher. 5' apart, probably a 1 splasher.

Lay a LONG trail of gas back to where you want to light it from. Do not make this in a direct line with any of the hole openings. Give it a few moments to vaporize, light the trail.

If you do this near dusk it can be a pretty impressive light display. Take the wife; guaranteed 'oohs' and 'ahhs' as leaf litter, twigs and such are blown back out of the hole on a long blast of flame.

Take the .22. Sometimes the critters will come staggering out ahead of the blast. Fumes get to them I guess. Take no prisoners.

My sons learned this from me, they both lost body hair one summer's eve from too short a trail. I told 'em they needed a LONG trail. But they got an added bonus, a flaming raccoon came tearing out of one of the holes. Wish I'd been there for that.

Oh, take a Bic, you don't want your pyrotechnics display relying on what you read here about starting a fire.

There is a solution to all this: hunt with a "moose" of a younger partner who has every imaginable gadget for survival and is cheerfully able to carry same!

I read about the shotshell and wool trick about 40 years ago in an outdoor mag...didn't work...but, being a fanatic in my youthI tried many solutions.  The trick is DRY tinder (the firestarters you all described work great) such as the small dead branches that stick out from small spruce "Squaw wood", inner birchbark, dried mouse or bird's nest, etc.  Then one must have a place to put the tinder on, where it will NOT blow away or get wet prior to the light arttempt..AND have a supply of wood already at hand to feed said fire when lit.  If one must spend the night in extreme cold...and it does not take much to get hypothermia...YOU must have a good woodpile and also be off the cold ground yourself, and especially, not be on low ground where the coldest air pools.  Normally a bit upslope out of the wind is far better...find where the deer are bedding and you have a natural "hot spot."  In winter I always carry a ruck with the needed stuff to survive, and, above timberline, where I hunted for 7 seasons in Norway, one must be ready to dig into the snow or to build a windbreak to conserve body heat.  Birdhunting, everything fits in my game vest.

Now that I am 70, I do not do the backcountry alone, and my bird hunts are with reliable partners.  Even a half mile from the truck a broken leg or ankle can mean a life threatening situatiion if one is not prepared a bit.  How much stuff is too much?  I cannot answer that.  I used a small Primus stove with a pot for a cover I carried (about 1 pound filled) time and again for 35 years, plus always carried a small axe or folding saw, as well as a folding snow shovel in winter...all in the ruck out of the way along with snacks for me and the dogs.  

If we manage sweat and conserve body heat, we can survive quite a bit.

Rp, I love them rabbits they taste better than chicken with no #9 shot.Checked them out tonite no tracks. Must be something to do with F cats.I have tried the long gas trails that only burns your eyebrows(but thanks for the tip)..I'll let you know about the headshots.
bosco mctavitch

Damn rabbits eat my garden.  Only thing in the garden is brussels sprouts and broccoli worms, and I hates broccoli worms.  Why would they eat that shite?  I don't understand them, therefore I fear them, therefore they must be destroyed (the rabbits).

Pity I need to go to the office tomorrow, I was intrigued by Rons pheasant/firestarting load and gthe middle of a snowstorm sounds like a prudent time to test it out.

Can you believe that something as porous as a brushpile would hold gasoline fumes?

Why were you killing rabbits?

Dude, you forget, I have beagles. I have an irrational fear and loathing of all things rabbit and vowed long ago to exterminate as many as I could for as long as I was able.

Damn rabbits eat my garden.  Only thing in the garden is brussels sprouts and broccoli worms, and I hates broccoli worms.  Why would they eat that shite?  I don't understand them, therefore I fear them, therefore they must be destroyed (the rabbits).

I wish it was rabbits in my garden.  The local elk population got hungry in September and cleared out my brussel sprouts, cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower etc, etc, in a few days.  My wife shot one a month later for revenge.

The local elk population got hungry in September and cleared out my brussel sprouts, cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower etc, etc, in a few days.

you're gona need a big can of gas for that.

Nuther reason to hate rabbits, my pussy bird dogs eat the rabbit **** that the shitting rabbits leave everywhere then they come back to the house and puke it up. *$%^#+#~ rabbits.