light a survival fire with a shotgun shell.

but that piece is nearly as disturbing as some photos recently posted by Crawford.

IMHO and with all due respect, Brian, the picture in question makes no lifestyle political inferences like Karate did.  It also did not make Ron go blind.  

Just a woManBearPig and progeny.  All babies are cute, don't you think Brian?

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• erik meade

• rprovines

• brymoore

• Backlash

Now dontch go making Rawn blind fercripesake; he's a cripple dontchknow, out there in the snow, trying to get firewood and feed his birdies...
All babies are cute, don't you think Brian?

No, I can't agree that all babies are cute. I've definitely seen some ugly ones, but don't recall ever having shared that opinion with the proud parents.

Thanks to Rex for the excellent suggestion.  Well this is not actually a suggestion from Rex.  I was trying to think what Rex would suggest (WRWS)  and it dawned on me.  The problem is that I might have my gun, but no fire starting supplies.  And merely suggesting that I remember to bring fire starting supplies when I hunt is not a good solution, owing to the fact that I am forgetful. And also I need to take into account the possibility of the raccoons stealing said supplies.  So I tried to think like Rex and it dawned on me, why not keep the supplies in the gun.  So this afternoon I think I will put a little fire starting kit in the bolt hole, under the pad of my gun.  If I do this for all my guns then I will be set.   In case of emergency I can bang my gun against the ground until the stock breaks off, and then, voila use the splintered stock, and the fire starting kit to make a fire.

Thank you Rex.  I owe you.

I still would like to figure out how, using just a shotgun, shotgun shells and a knife I might start a fire.  Just so that I have that knowledge

It appears that all of us overlooked the easiest way to light a fire in the woods..with our empty beer can and a chocolate bar.

one gazillion points to whoever posts a video of themselves pulling this off

Two problems.

I don't drink beer very much.

You need Sun with that method.  How will I know that the sun will be out when I need the fire?

I can not take credit for any part of your idea Erik.  I can'teven take credit for my tin can stove idea either.  I think I saw that in some back packer literature. But I have meade tin can stoves and pretended to survive out in the woods.  I don't remember what I cooked on them.  I do remember about how they get all sooty and the soot gets on your hands and clothes if you do not have some thing to wrap them in when you pack them out.  A plastic grocery sack works.

I have never had an original thought.

You need Sun with that method.  How will I know that the sun will be out when I need the fire?

If the sun's out, you shouldn't be lost, cerially.

I was trying to think what Rex would suggest (WRWS)  and it dawned on me.  

I'd pay good money for a WWRS? (What Would Rex Suggest?) bumper sticker.