• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bearkat

• dirtdog

• bobman

Here is my dog............

Never had to teach him a thing. I have a standing bet you can't get out of your vehicle on my property if my Wife or Son is in the yard........

Not a beginner dog to say the least. We came to an understanding early on and he has been one of the best dogs I have ever owned period.

He knows his job and does it very well.

Rock-1.jpg

If she wants a dog that's a great companion and very good to look at, an Airedale would be my choice. I knew an Airedale that was a blankie, a horsey, a babysitter and a protector to "his" two-legged kids. I have witnessed him standing and growling when an adult would approach his charges. I would not argue with a 65 pound terrier, when he is on a mission.

The few I have known were of this type.  Friendly dogs, but they did require a moment to get to know you.  Not like the springer spaniel of note.

This is also the dog my wife has been looking at.  She likes the idea of a home security system that is always on.  

Black Terrier

The dog that comes to mind when I think of dogs I'd never want to tangle with is the Akita.  My buddy has one and it's akin to having a stick of dynamite around the house for 'protection'.  Personally I think a well trained German Shepard is the best blend of protection and all around pet qualities.  My Uncle always used to have schutzhund trained shepards and they kept a good eye on his property.  There was never a need to lock the door when they were alive.

If you just want people to be scared, I guess Rotts, Dobermans, and Pit Bulls fit the bill best.  They are menacing by reputation.  In Suburbia people are always scared of my GSP's.  I think that short hair and thin coat screams, 'Doberman' which tends to scare people even if they are teddy bears.

I have tried to make clear that she can't just buy a dog and forget it.  I understand there is a high level of training and continual training in one of these dogs.  I am trying to get a better idea of exactly what she want.  A watchdog, guard dog or protection dog.  I think she would be happy with a good companion dog that has a natural watchdog ability.  This would give her a warning and time to retrieve a weapon.

I had a black lab female that was a easy going as can be.  That was until she felt a threat around and she would growl and position herself between you and the danger.  Shocked heck out of me fist time she did it.  I didn't know she had it in her.

12ette - she mentioned the Russian Terrier last night.  I had never heard of them before.

I vote wirehair/drat, too. Or a chihuahua or a rat terrier, amazingly vocal, tough little dogs. Every springer I've ever met was a pussycat.

Rat Terrier has my vote - carry it in your purse, you might need a concealed carrry permit though.

They are tough little ankle biters!!!

I see your Bourbonnais pitbull and raise you three Rat Terriers and still collect less stool from the yard

BearKat,

I knew 2 fellas who had them as house pets with a job.  One lived outside Moscow and crime (Breaking and Entering) was an issue and the police/911 is not the best.  This dog Kukla was a sweetheart of a dog and smart enough to do your homework.  It did like to have a purpose though, even walks she was calmer with a pack on.

The other I knew belonged to an FSB Officer.  This dog was all business.  He knew what to do and when to do it, I am sure he even knew why he was doing it.  Misha (diminutive for Micheal and a knick name for mouse) was also sweet, a total lap dog and very tolerant.  This Misha was huge!  60kg as I recall or 146lbs.

With this dog though you need to be the boss, always.  Always.  They are big and strong.

Rhodesian Ridgeback, neutered Doberman (Univ of Oregon had a problem of people attacking female joggers...solution?  Rent a Dobie...trained to protect women and very gentle), a good Chessie..OR an English Pointer.  The Airedale is also a great choice
Randy Johnson
I have always left my family in the care and protection of a Chesapeake Bay Retriever.  A few years back I added a DD for backup.
A watchdog, guard dog or protection dog.  I think she would be happy with a good companion dog that has a natural watchdog ability.  This would give her a warning and time to retrieve a weapon.

A lot of dogs will do this if that ends up being what she is seeking. I don't think she needs a schutzhund trained dog. I would recommend she check with her insurance company as some will either cancel a policy or price it accordingly for certain breeds (not saying I agree at all - but a consideration). I know some insurance companies have become hesitant about Rotts and a few others.

I also second the recommendation of an Airdale. These are very protective dogs and quite intimidating when they need to be. My wife grew up with them and they are very fine companions, but I wouldn't want to be the poor bastard that broke into a house or attempted to assault the owner of one.

My GWP's are great pets and hunting dogs, but no one would want to attempt to harm my wife (or daughter) when she is out walking them. I don't need them to chase and take down a fleeing criminal, but they will defend their house and their people naturally. Lots of dogs will do the same and would do it well.

Most of the young single women around me prefer pits or dobermans. I don't think any of these dogs are schutzhund trained, but also don't think many are inclined to bother these women when they are out for a walk or jog.