REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Breakfast Boy

OFFICIAL THREAD FOR UJ PIPE SMOKERS!

Swampy 16

Theb7 Sea’s has been excellent so far and getting better now that it’s been exposed to the air. I highly recommend it.

Fin2Feather
On 1/15/2020 at 2:25 PM, Bloodhound said:

I tried some of this

and it is a great smoke, very mild

and the pic on the can reminded

me of my Jake and IWs Trad

003-016-0165.jpg

Haven't tried the tobacco but I sure like the tin!

1971snipe
12 hours ago, Fin2Feather said:

Haven't tried the tobacco but I sure like the tin!

Tin art has sold many ounces of tinned tobacco.  So-called "tin note", has sold many ounces of bulk tobacco.  "Room note" has attracted many to try pipe smoking, and also has likely been responsible for many a burnt tongues.  

Swampy 16

Any UJ pipe smokers going to the Catskill Gathering?

1971snipe
3 hours ago, Swampy 16 said:

Any UJ pipe smokers going to the Catskill Gathering?

When and where does this take place, exactly?  I visit my daughter in Rochester occasionally.  

Swampy 16

It’s July 9-12 I believe and if you like guns, bird hunting, shooting, eating, then napping only to wake up and do it all over again and again then this is the event for you. Keep in mind the birds at this event are made of clay but most all who attend are bird hunters. The food? Forget it it ! It’s like nothing I’ve experienced. More fun then an adult should be allowed to have. Shoot all you want, eat all you want. Five stand (well sort of) skeet, and sporting clays, 20 stations. It’s a great time with great people. Come once, come again. Keep an eye on the thread in the events page. The ribbing has already begun along with plenty of BS.

1971snipe

I visited McCranie's in Charlotte NC today.  The rumors that they have tins of the McClelland-sourced Red Ribbon available, are not true.  They do have a small stack of tinned McCl blends, but they are pretty much all aromatics, and priced at $20 for 50gr (iirc).  

The closest tobacco they have to the now gone Red Ribbon is a bulk blend called Red Stag, which has a great tin note, and I bought a couple oz.  I also found a tin of Rattray's Hal-o-the-Wynd, and an oz of whatever was reported to be their most popular bulk blend.  I forget what the store name is, but I can't wait to try it and then guess what Lane or PS blend it may be.  

Bloodhound

22100961423f3726f62b5747bbd91be1622d2ecf.jpg

1971snipe

My Valentine's Day smoke was Shortcut to Mushrooms from 2016, which was gifted to me last Christmas.  It has a great room note that my wife likes, plus it's a very nice smoke.  

Swampy 16

Quite possibly the best I’ve smoked yet.F487082C-81D2-4C0A-B980-6F2F4B0746D7.thumb.jpeg.825298ec0f927b199a5e3164982b2e72.jpeg

Fin2Feather
On 2/15/2020 at 7:16 PM, 1971snipe said:

My Valentine's Day smoke was Shortcut to Mushrooms from 2016, which was gifted to me last Christmas.  It has a great room note that my wife likes, plus it's a very nice smoke.  

I remember some mushrooms from back in the day; guessing these were different...?

1971snipe
2 hours ago, Fin2Feather said:

I remember some mushrooms from back in the day; guessing these were different...?

Ha!  Indeed, different.  It's a now-extinct blend, now that McClelland is gone, that was blended and sold by Just For Him shop in the Midwest.  The blend and the name was concocted by one "Uncle Bob", following a Hobbit theme.  UB used to frequent the Christian Pipe Smokers forum until his anti-Trump and other political tantrums, for lack of a better word, apparently resulted in sort of a self imposed exile.  It's a good smoke.  I was gifted a couple oz of 2016 vintage leaf last Christmas.  

Fin2Feather

I posted a thread a while back about acquiring a set of knives made by my brother-in-law.  Years ago I saw some beautiful pipes made of elk antler by Richard Siefried. I've always wanted one but I haven't been able to find that he's still selling them; anyway they were above my pay grade then and probably still would be.  My bro-in-law and I have discussed them a few times and recently a mystery package with his address in the return showed up on my doorstep; inside was this pipe and stand.  I'm not sure it's really smoke-able; Siefried's pipes had briar inserts and I've seen a guy on ebay selling some that he advertises as coated with a meerschaum slurry on the inside, which this one isn't.  Still, pretty cool and it has a place of honor on my smoke stand...

ifp37xrl.jpg

Recoil Rob

What's the ID of the bowl? Depth?

Fin2Feather
25 minutes ago, Recoil Rob said:

What's the ID of the bowl? Depth?

Bowl is oval, approx. 1" x  3/4".  About 1-1/2" deep.