REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Breakfast Boy

OFFICIAL THREAD FOR UJ PIPE SMOKERS!

1971snipe
52 minutes ago, Fin2Feather said:

I posted a thread a while back about acquiring a set of knives made by my brother-in-law.  Years ago I saw some beautiful pipes made of elk antler by Richard Siefried. I've always wanted one but I haven't been able to find that he's still selling them; anyway they were above my pay grade then and probably still would be.  My bro-in-law and I have discussed them a few times and recently a mystery package with his address in the return showed up on my doorstep; inside was this pipe and stand.  I'm not sure it's really smoke-able; Siefried's pipes had briar inserts and I've seen a guy on ebay selling some that he advertises as coated with a meerschaum slurry on the inside, which this one isn't.  Still, pretty cool and it has a place of honor on my smoke stand...

ifp37xrl.jpg

Pretty.  I have tampers made from antler, but no pipes.  Not sure if smoke it either.  

1971snipe
On 7/30/2019 at 9:05 AM, ccavacini said:

Yep...Barrel Staved Cube.  Haven't tried the C & D yet.  Probably couldn't tell a small batch smoke from any other tobacco.  But, I'm looking forward to the Sansepolcro.

It has an interesting story behind the blend.

https://www.smokingpipes.com/smokingpipesblog/single.cfm/post/small-batch-the-historical-sansepolcro

How would you describe the sansepolcro?  I never was able to get my hands on even a sample.  

Fin2Feather

I used to love those dry Italian cigars back in my college days; Parodi was my preferred brand.  Haven't smoked one in years.  I'm not sure I'm a fan of cigar leaf pipe tobaccos though; I bought a couple of tins of The Haunting and didn't much care for it.

ccavacini
47 minutes ago, 1971snipe said:

How would you describe the sansepolcro?  I never was able to get my hands on even a sample.  

Nothing out of the ordinary....ok.

ccavacini
2 minutes ago, Fin2Feather said:

I used to love those dry Italian cigars back in my college days; Parodi was my preferred brand.  Haven't smoked one in years.  I'm not sure I'm a fan of cigar leaf pipe tobaccos though; I bought a couple of tins of The Haunting and didn't much care for it.

I remember trying to inhale a Parodi once....halfway down and I darn near choked.

Recoil Rob
1 hour ago, Fin2Feather said:

Bowl is oval, approx. 1" x  3/4".  About 1-1/2" deep.

Sorry, I have some meerschaum bowl inserts but they are round and not deep enough.

You can try to get a meerschaum block on Ebay and carve to fit. When dampened meerschaum carves like very hard cheese, the reason they can do such intricate work with it.

This is also an option from Etsy...

Or carve a briar chunk to fit. I did that with a bowl that was way too big, made a briar insert.

Marc Ret

Parodi, the pride of Scranton! I typically keep a pack of them in my fly vest. Not the smoothest of smokes but there's just something I enjoy about them when I'm on the creek. 

Swampy 16

Ahh, the good old de nobili cigars. I love those things. The Parodi’s are from the same factory I believe. Great smokes !

Recoil Rob

In college I smoked the Avantis, basically a Parodi soaked in annisette, They all come from the same factory in PA.

Fin2Feather

I think I'm gonna have to get me a pack and reminiscence... 

1971snipe

You guys ever try a bowl of Mixture 79?  

phonefly
27 minutes ago, 1971snipe said:

College kids in the sixties to impress the girls smoked it.  I bought a pouch and threw it away.

Fin2Feather
12 hours ago, 1971snipe said:

Years ago.  I seem to remember it had sort of a "soapy" taste to me.

Bloodhound
27 minutes ago, Fin2Feather said:

Years ago.  I seem to remember it had sort of a "soapy" taste to me.

Yup and a powerful hit of vitamin N

1971snipe

It's been a long long time since I tried Mixture 79.  The talk of flavored cigars reminded me of it, and what I recalled as heavy licorice flavor.  Maybe I'm not remembering correctly.  

Anyway, changing direction just a bit, my newest most recent favorite smoke is a bulk blend from McCranies of Charlotte NC, called Waverly.  Reportedly it's their own shop blend, not a rebrand of Lane or other tobacco.  It's an aromatic without a bite, and smokes dry like an English, with a good solid umph to it.  It improved when the 2-oz bag I have dried out a little.  I can swear I taste a hint of cherry, although that's not listed anywhere in descriptions I've seen so far.