REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Breakfast Boy

OFFICIAL THREAD FOR UJ PIPE SMOKERS!

Swampy 16
38 minutes ago, Fin2Feather said:

Lots of other must like it too.  I did a quick search and none of my usual contacts had any available.

I’m still floored by how good it is.

Bloodhound

ODF is one of those blends that is gone shortly after it come into stock...you almost need to get on a list

Fin2Feather

I've got a couple tins of ODF on the shelf, but the MM Country Gentleman seems to be an elusive find. 

Swampy 16

I just cracked a tin of Escudo Navy De Luxe. It’s sliced into coins. Just lit it so can’t say for sure but pleasant so far. I also picked up another tin of ODF. Boy that’s some great stuff.

Fin2Feather

I do love my Peterson pipes.  This new book on the history of the company was part of my anniversary present from my lovely wife...50 years as of June 6 of this year.  Shown here with a pre-Republic pot and a Dublin commemorating Peterson's millennium in 1988...

X8RIxihl.jpg

Swampy 16

Tried both of these this weekend and they’re both very nice. The Royal Challenge is excellent !

Rogue Hunter

My go to smoke for many years now has been Balkan Sasieni.

Swampy 16

Forgot to add the pic again, duh, again.4971586B-D080-4AC4-9328-59B8FFE7B8D5.thumb.jpeg.b4d8347014adb54e44ff5c9cf9daa2ad.jpeg

1971snipe

I haven't tried the Royal Challenge, but I did enjoy a tin a few years ago of the East India Trading Company's "Officers Club".  It was very rich, with a tin note of heavy bread pudding, and very moist.  Letting it dry out helped it considerably, but it still seemed heavy with pg.  

I have a tin of the E.Navy Deluxe cellar'd,  5+ years old now. 

Balkan Sasieni is always a good smoke.  This past weekend I opened a tin of Rattray's Accountant's Mixture that is probably 10 years old, maybe older.  The tin isn't dated, but I got it 6-7 years ago from one of the large cigar shops along the interstate in N. Carolina, or maybe it was Virginia.  No telling how long it had been sitting on their shelf, but I noticed this weekend that the tin was bulging, so I went ahead and opened it, and it's the best smoking tobacco I've had in way too long.    

Swampy 16
1 hour ago, 1971snipe said:

I haven't tried the Royal Challenge, but I did enjoy a tin a few years ago of the East India Trading Company's "Officers Club".  It was very rich, with a tin note of heavy bread pudding, and very moist.  Letting it dry out helped it considerably, but it still seemed heavy with pg.  

I have a tin of the E.Navy Deluxe cellar'd,  5+ years old now. 

Balkan Sasieni is always a good smoke.  This past weekend I opened a tin of Rattray's Accountant's Mixture that is probably 10 years old, maybe older.  The tin isn't dated, but I got it 6-7 years ago from one of the large cigar shops along the interstate in N. Carolina, or maybe it was Virginia.  No telling how long it had been sitting on their shelf, but I noticed this weekend that the tin was bulging, so I went ahead and opened it, and it's the best smoking tobacco I've had in way too long.    

Would you store after it’s been opened? Say you opened it and it needed to sit. Could you leave it for years ? Or only sealed tins?

1971snipe
13 hours ago, Swampy 16 said:

Would you store after it’s been opened? Say you opened it and it needed to sit. Could you leave it for years ? Or only sealed tins?

I've allowed opened tins to sit, unintentionally or not, and it seems to make Virginia's more flavorful, but no noticeable effect on burleys to my taste.  Many folks like to age tobacco in sealed jars, but I've never done that.  If I have a tin sitting on a shelf now, it's simply because I bought it when it was available (sort of the same as ammo), and I haven't gotten around to using it yet.  Although aging certainly does help many tobaccos smoke better, C&D brands, for example.   

Swampy 16

0019AFBE-747F-4F04-8B5B-36B73D4D2707.thumb.jpeg.6f810aa22d2ee8a819d33d9d5aecde8d.jpegsF76299F4-828C-4FE0-9450-9FF89AA78058.thumb.jpeg.fe3554395443301b7a4f6ce741178cfb.jpegUnpicked this another pipe up in an antique shop. Its a London Royal. What’s the deal with the stem. Never seen one before. $5

Swampy 16

Hers the other pipe. It’s a James B. Hall’s Champlain which I can’t find on line.860180E7-94B6-45C4-90FB-5813F2D07091.thumb.jpeg.e1b68b4e29209b6b29fed94f06128951.jpeg

Swampy 16

Also, how do I sterilize these so I can use them?