REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Breakfast Boy

OFFICIAL THREAD FOR UJ PIPE SMOKERS!

Recoil Rob

Those aluminum inserts are called stingers, lot's of older pipes had them, supposedly they cooled the smoke by letting moisture in the smoke (steam) condense. Unless they are in a collectible pipe like an old Kaywoodie, I usually cut them off or sometimes they can be pulled out.

Sterilize like any other pipe, a good reaming and wash with Everclear.

London Royal was a trade name used by L&H Stern of the USA. London Royale was a name used by the London Royal Pipe Corp. in 1946, also in the USA.

James B. Hall  was a name used by the Westminster Pipe Co. of NYC, Champlain is probably a model designation.

ccavacini
33 minutes ago, Swampy 16 said:

Also, how do I sterilize these so I can use them? 

I fill the bowl with sea salt, put a pipe cleaner in the stem, and pour vodka in the bowl.  When the vodka turns brown, the pipe is freshened/sterilized.   Warning though.....vodka will take the finish off the outside bowl so  be careful

1971snipe

I have a couple Kaywoodies, one with stinger intact and one with it cut.  Can't get a pipe cleaner through either one.  Pliers are needed for thread adjustments so the bowl will be upright.  Otherwise they're good smokers.  

Swampy 16

I have no alcohol in the house other than rubbing alcohol. Can I use that?

FlyChamps
1 hour ago, Swampy 16 said:

I have no alcohol in the house other than rubbing alcohol. Can I use that?

No! Rubbing alcohol should not be used.  Only use drinking alcohol, although only college kids call Everclear drinking alcohol.  As much as I like drinking peaty single malt Scotches I don't waste them sterilizing pipes.  On the other hand, I still have most of a Mason jar of Tennessee 'shine that I use to sterilize pipes when needed.

Swampy 16

I read on line it was ok to use rubbing so I ran some through the stems with a pipe cleaner and wiped the stems with it. Seems to be ok. 

FlyChamps
6 minutes ago, Swampy 16 said:

I read on line it was ok to use rubbing so I ran some through the stems with a pipe cleaner and wiped the stems with it. Seems to be ok. 

Isopropyl alcohol is an irritant to internal parts of people so I flat don't like using it when it will be inhaled or ingested - the stuff is made from petroleum.  It was first produced by Standard Oil, now Exxon, about 100 years ago.

Swampy 16
20 minutes ago, FlyChamps said:

Isopropyl alcohol is an irritant to internal parts of people so I flat don't like using it when it will be inhaled or ingested - the stuff is made from petroleum.  It was first produced by Standard Oil, now Exxon, about 100 years ago.

Yuck ! Luckily it evaporates and doesn’t leave a residue. The London Royal is a real nice smoker. The others a piece o’ crap. Gets real hot real quick.

1971snipe
4 hours ago, Swampy 16 said:

If it's on the internet it must be true, right?  

But fwiw my suggestion is to get a bottle of high proof vodka if u can locate some, or the 151-proof rum, if for no other reason than for pipe cleaning.  You won't regret it.  And save the IPA (iso-propyl alcohol, not India pale ale) for other uses.   

Bloodhound

Plus one with what 1971 snipe and others have said...I use vodka for general clean up, and EVERCLEAR for full clean up/restorations/estate pipes 

I worry about rubbing alcohol having impurities and unwanted stuff for my pipe...

Fin2Feather

I seldom buy pipes anymore; in truth I have too many already.  But occasionally one just speaks to me, and this Peterson Donegal Rocky XL02 did.  It's a mint estate pipe - appears almost new - and it's from the days when this model still came with a sterling band; even still in the original pipe sock.  I thought the price was reasonable so home it came...

q4N9GvTl.jpg

ccavacini

Nice, and the holder makes it perfect.

1971snipe
2 hours ago, Fin2Feather said:

I seldom buy pipes anymore; in truth I have too many already.  But occasionally one just speaks to me, and this Peterson Donegal Rocky XL02 did.  It's a mint estate pipe - appears almost new - and it's from the days when this model still came with a sterling band; even still in the original pipe sock.  I thought the price was reasonable so home it came...

q4N9GvTl.jpg

Great find! 

FlyChamps
3 hours ago, Fin2Feather said:

q4N9GvTl.jpg

How do you like the Peterson lighter?

I also have a Peterson XL02 in Aran Smooth finish with nickel band and fishtail stem.  It's a nice pipe.