REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Breakfast Boy

OFFICIAL THREAD FOR UJ PIPE SMOKERS!

Swampy 16

What’s the significance of the fishtail stem?

Fin2Feather
55 minutes ago, Swampy 16 said:

What’s the significance of the fishtail stem?

Lots of folks don't care for the traditional Peterson mouthpiece (p-lip) which channels the smoke off the tongue toward the roof of the mouth.  The fishtail stem is more like the straight-through boring most folks are more familiar with.  Also, some feel a fishtail is more comfortable.  Me, I love the p-lip; only one of my 20 Petersons has a fishtail and I'm trying to find a replacement p-lip stem for that one.  The p-lip is an integral part of the Peterson "system" pipes, and to me, a Pete just looks "right" with a p-lip.  

Fin2Feather
1 hour ago, FlyChamps said:

How do you like the Peterson lighter?

I love the styling of the lighter (Old Boy copy I guess) but it doesn't do particularly well in the wind.

Swampy 16
1 hour ago, Fin2Feather said:

Lots of folks don't care for the traditional Peterson mouthpiece (p-lip) which channels the smoke off the tongue toward the roof of the mouth.  The fishtail stem is more like the straight-through boring most folks are more familiar with.  Also, some feel a fishtail is more comfortable.  Me, I love the p-lip; only one of my 20 Petersons has a fishtail and I'm trying to find a replacement p-lip stem for that one.  The p-lip is an integral part of the Peterson "system" pipes, and to me, a Pete just looks "right" with a p-lip.  

Can you possibly post a pic of both?

Fin2Feather
12 hours ago, Swampy 16 said:

Can you possibly post a pic of both?

Sure...

Peterson's P-lip...

88nu7gpm.jpg   QdElofEm.jpg

Fishtail mouthpiece..

VjptwRpm.jpg  kWvcdRtm.jpg  

1971snipe

I own one Pete, a Donagle Rocky, which has the fishtail.  I've owned a p-lip in the past and finally got rid of it.  I didn't like how it smoked, didn't like the feel of the smoke on the roof of my mouth, and really just didn't like the idea of it at all.  Peterson does make some attractive pipes though.  

Fin2Feather

Yeah, the p-lip is a bit of a different animal for sure; smoking them correctly takes a bit of a different technique.  But they're like the slogan of a Canadian beer I fell in love with while there a few years ago: "Those who like it, like it a lot."  One of the authors of The Peterson Pipe (admittedly a Peterson fanatic) writes that he wishes every pipe he owns had a p-lip.  

Fin2Feather
20 hours ago, Swampy 16 said:

That's a nice one!  I have two SH Petes, a Mycroft and a Moran.  They were both a little hard to find when I got them; I bought the Mycroft with a fishtail from a dealer and sent it back to Peterson to have a p-lip made for it 😄.

CLKb1Qil.jpg    GHbCQDsl.jpg

1971snipe
46 minutes ago, Fin2Feather said:

That's a nice one!  I have two SH Petes, a Mycroft and a Moran.  They were both a little hard to find when I got them; I bought the Mycroft with a fishtail from a dealer and sent it back to Peterson to have a p-lip made for it 😄.

CLKb1Qil.jpg    GHbCQDsl.jpg

Beautiful pipes.  The one on bottom is what some call a flame grain? 

FlyChamps

One interesting thing about Peterson is that it is an old Irish company owned by a more recent South Carolina company, Laudisi Enterprises LLC.  Laudisi also owns Cornell & Diehl tobacco and Smokingpipes.com.  Laudisi is headquartered in the thriving metropolis (yes, that is a joke) of Longs, SC.

Laudisi Enterprises history

Swampy 16

Boy oh boy, another great smoke. Swampy likely !AD3D36A5-3485-47F3-B9DB-CFA7C7F2D0AD.thumb.jpeg.a6bbeb71027c400ea3644ba3d1c15d0b.jpeg

Fin2Feather

I like large pipes, but the commercially available pipe racks I've found don't seem to be keyed to the sizes and shapes I prefer.  I got tired of my pipes banging into each other, turned sideways in the rack, one falling out when I moved one next to it, etc., so I decided to rectify the situation.  Now I'm not a woodworker let alone a furniture maker so it ain't perfect by any means, but this was strictly a form-follows-function project.  A little half-inch lumber from Home Depot, a table saw and a drill press, and my pipes have a new home and a little room to breathe...

Before...

4B42Gakl.jpg

After

gGSTS8ol.jpg

Swampy 16
5 minutes ago, Fin2Feather said:

I like large pipes, but the commercially available pipe racks I've found don't seem to be keyed to the sizes and shapes I prefer.  I got tired of my pipes banging into each other, turned sideways in the rack, one falling out when I moved one next to it, etc., so I decided to rectify the situation.  Now I'm not a woodworker let alone a furniture maker so it ain't perfect by any means, but this was strictly a form-follows-function project.  A little half-inch lumber from Home Depot, a table saw and a drill press, and my pipes have a new home and a little room to breathe...

Before...

4B42Gakl.jpg

After

gGSTS8ol.jpg

That’s quite a collection !

Rogue Hunter

Anyone smoke a spigot type pipe?

Fin2Feather

Yeah; in 50+ years they tend to accumulate 😀