REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Breakfast Boy

OFFICIAL THREAD FOR UJ PIPE SMOKERS!

Recoil Rob
On 8/9/2020 at 7:51 PM, Rogue Hunter said:

Anyone smoke a spigot type pipe?

You mean the type referred to at times as a military mount? Metal reinforced mortise and tenon?

I have two "full metal",  Ferndown and Caminetto...

IMG-0642.jpg

1971snipe

If anyone happens to run across a tin of Esoterica Dorchester, please let me know.  

Recoil Rob

Lots of aged Penzance but no Dorchester. Seems Esoterica just releases product intermittently.

1971snipe
On 3/24/2020 at 5:58 AM, 1971snipe said:

Ive bought C&D's Christmas blend each year for the past several years.  The best was a year or two ago, called Jolly ol St Nicholas.  I went through my tin quickly, and wished I'd purchased more with my order.  It quickly sold out. 

Last year's version, Corncob Pipe and Button, etc, is just ok.  I still have half the tin left.  I find that if I light it up then let it sit, and come back to it later, even the next day, then it's a better smoke.  So I leave the tin in my truck, and smoke it in my truck pipe, which facilitates this so called delayed gratification technique, or "dgt".  

Jolly old St Nick is available again, at TobaccoPipes.  I went ahead and ordered 2 tins.  FYI if interested.  

Fin2Feather

I agree on CCB&BN; I had about half my tin left and was looking for something to throw in the pouch for a quick fishing afternoon over the weekend.  It's pleasant enough I guess, but unremarkable.  I'll pass in the future on that one.  Should try some JOST.

Swampy 16

Has anyone tried Captain Black Dark? I’m having a hard time finding something I like better.

Fin2Feather
On 9/12/2020 at 6:24 PM, 1971snipe said:

Jolly old St Nick is available again, at TobaccoPipes.  I went ahead and ordered 2 tins.  FYI if interested.  

Hmm; can't seem to find it on tobaccopipes or pipesandcigars.  Got a link?

1971snipe
29 minutes ago, Fin2Feather said:

Hmm; can't seem to find it on tobaccopipes or pipesandcigars.  Got a link?

Ok I'm totally embarrassed now.  The blend I intended to speak of above, and that I ordered 2 tins of, is the Golden Days of Yore.  Link attached below. 

https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipe-tobacco/cornell-diehl/Golden-Days-of-Yore-2oz/product_id/180625

Sorry for the confusion.  

Edit:  BTW, Jolly OSN was a good smoke alright, but Days of Yore I think is better.  

salmontogue

What happened to Samuel Gawith blends?

Perk

Bloodhound

I hear rumers of them being available in limited quantities, along with Gawith and Hogarth.  They have supply issues and shipping issues and they show a huge preference for customers and outlets in the UK...Get on the lists with the retailers and you should get some.  They get some in, but they don't get listed on the sites...so you have to be on the notify list

1971snipe
12 minutes ago, salmontogue said:

What happened to Samuel Gawith blends?

Perk

I recently saw a post dated 9/15, on another forum, that SG tobaccos were back in stock at TobaccoPipes.com.  

Also from that forum: 

xxx wrote:I saw this comment posted by Chris Gawith in the Gawith Hoggarth Facebook group. Apparently our lovely FDA is gubermenting things up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Gawith family needs to come to an agreement on what their story is to be. Chris says it’s an FDA thing. Rachel says it is not a FDA issue but a supply/demand & distribution thing.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Fin2Feather

I bought two tins of C&D's The Haunting when it came out.  Wasn't a big fan so the open tin sat on the shelf.  Today I dumped it in the pouch to take to the fishing hole; not bad!  Either I was too busy to care or it improved.