OFFICIAL THREAD FOR UJ PIPE SMOKERS!

Breakfast Boy

Anyone got any suggestions for a nice light pipe that is easy to hold in your mouth for use while shooting?

I've got a Peterson's half-bent and a David Jones half-bent.  They're nice pipes, but they're too heavy and bulky for me to hold them comfortably in my mouth while I am shooting . . .

--shinbone

I hunt with a Savinelli in my mouth....curved stem.  That way it doesn't get in the way when you shoot.

You'll forget it's there.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bloodhound

• Breakfast Boy

• ccavacini

• Swampy 16

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The other day I was beat from bushwhacking the grouse woods for a several hours without flushing a bird. I went to the truck sat on the tailgate and packed one of my late father’s  Stanwells with some

While going through some boxes of stuff last evening looking for something unrelated, I came across a full 100g tin of "Frog Morton". What it was doing in a box of sporting goods, I don't know. I was

I was smoking cigars during my long daily commutes and really enjoyed the diversion.  But then cigars became more and more trendy, and with the rise in popularity there was a rapid rise in prices.  Th

Posted Images

ccavacini - Do you recall which model Savinelli?  I checked out the Savinelli website and there is a huge range of shapes to choose from.

I see the Savinelli website shows a "Premiere" series, which is intended for new pipe users and is thus a smaller pipe.  This might be a good one for a shooting pipe.  I can't find any online retailers that show it as available, though.

--shinbone

Breakfast Boy
ccavacini - Do you recall which model Savinelli?  I checked out the Savinelli website and there is a huge range of shapes to choose from.

I see the Savinelli website shows a "Premiere" series, which is intended for new pipe users and is thus a smaller pipe.  This might be a good one for a shooting pipe.  I can't find any online retailers that show it as available, though.

--shinbone

I'm not positive what model/shape ccavacini has, but I've seen pictures of it and it looks exactly like my Savinelli Duca Carlo in something like the 611 shape.  Not sure of the technical name for that shape, but here's the link to see it.  I bought the pipe new from my local shop for about $40...

Savinelli Shape Chart Link

My Duca Carlo was my first pipe and it's a great smoker.  I took the balsa wood filter out of it and smoke it without a filter.  Great smoking pipe for the money.  Here's a link to one similiar...

Savinelli Pipe at Cup O Joes

Keep in mind that shooting with a pipe in your mouth like ccavacini does has, in my opinion, more to do with skill/practice than it does the pipe shape.  LOL!  I don't think I could ever shoot with a pipe in my mouth.  That's why I either carry the pipe and then stop to take a smoke break or I smoke a cigar.

I would think, and ccavacini can correct me if I'm wrong, but to hunt with it in your mouth you would be biting the stem quite a bit?  If not then it REALLY takes some skill!

Breakfast Boy

Here is a pic of my pipe.  Like I said, I'm not sure it's the exact same thing Cary smokes while hunting, but based on the pic he posted in the past I THINK it's pretty close...

Jamesonspipe.jpg

And here is a self portrait of me smoking it.  Yeah, I know it looks like I'm poopin' while driving, but the pic shows the size and shape of the pipe pretty good...

Pipeinthetruck.jpg

Hope all of this helps.

On a similiar note, has anyone bought any new pipes lately?  I need to see some pics of new pipes fellas.

Breakfast Boy - That's a good looking pipe, and thanks for the info!

And yes, I too wonder how much of a beating the stem will take when the pipe is used as I am suggesting.

Going through the Savinelli shape chart, it looks like shape #601 is a small half bent that would make a good shooting pipe.  However, I did not see any pipes in the current Savinelli lineup made in the #601 shape.  

The Savinelli #602 shape is a very good looking half-bent which is available in a lot of models.  That one might be worth a try.

--shinbone

Breakfast Boy
Breakfast Boy - That's a good looking pipe, and thanks for the info!

And yes, I too wonder how much of a beating the stem will take when the pipe is used as I am suggesting.

Going through the Savinelli shape chart, it looks like shape #601 is a small half bent that would make a good shooting pipe.  However, I did not see any pipes in the current Savinelli lineup made in the #601 shape.  hmmmm . . .

--shinbone

I'm a fan of Boswell pipes, although I have yet to own or smoke one.  Soon though, very soon.  They are a bit more pricey ($100-$120 range) but everyone says they make a great pipe for the price.  Point being, they make a pipe designed specifically for fishing vests and I don't see why it wouldn't work great for a game vest...

Boswell's Fishing Vest Pipe

Bullwinkle

since you asked here's a pic of my new Tinsky Poker.. a retirement gift to myself.

TINSKY_POKER.jpg

Breakfast Boy
Great looking poker.  I'm jealous!  How does it smoke?

That poker is a beauty!

My Peterson 'Sherlock Holmes' Watson full bent is very comfortable no hands. A full bent pipe is a lot easier.

I smoked an apple shape while fishing today and although its a lite pipe, it does tend to get 'clinched'.

Bloodhound

The pipes at the Flea market stayed at the flea market...I had enough $$ for the Bicycle for Hannah, so the pipes didn't come home with me.  

I am going back this weekend, with some $$ for pipes...I will post what I find.

As to hunting with a pipe, I have a "Basket" pipe in the bent apple shape with a wde bit, it fills the hand but it isn't too heavy.  I can walk and shoot with it, but I mostly stop and puff, then in the pocket and off to find more birds.  

Nice pipes BB and Bullwinkle

I bought a  nose warmer, mini curved, but the bit doesn't feel quite right in my teeth...I have used it while shooting sporting clays, but am not sure it will make it to the woods with me...maybe one of the flea market pipes will fit the bill.... :D

Or maybe I'll buy this one....OOOOOOH

http://www.cupojoes.com/cgi-bin....trocb10

Breakfast Boy
Or maybe I'll buy this one....OOOOOOH

http://www.cupojoes.com/cgi-bin....trocb10

Do it Scott!  That's a nice looking pipe.  I'm feeling the urge to buy a new pipe.  With my 40th birthday coming up in a week and a half, I think I deserve one.  But I don't think my wife is seeing it my way (smile).

Breakfast Boy

Wow!  After seeing Bullwinkle's new Tinsky poker pipe, I had to look at Tinsky's website.  Found a few that I would like to have...

Medium Sized Apple with inlay

I would sell my left testicle to own this one...

Black & Tan Bulldog

Freehand

2009 Christmas Pipe

Oh and before I forget...HAPPY RETIREMENT BULLWINKLE!!

Breakfast Boy

Here's the link to Boswell's Pipe Gallery page.  I've been wanting a Boswell pipe for quite a while now and am hoping to order one soon.  I was leaning towards one of their plateau freehands, but after seeing Bullwinkle's new pipe, I may get one of their pokers with the plateau on it.  Geez, decisions, decisions...

Boswell's Pipe Gallery Page

--shinbone

I'm not positive what model/shape ccavacini has, but I've seen pictures of it and it looks exactly like my Savinelli Duca Carlo in something like the 611 shape.  Not sure of the technical name for that shape, but here's the link to see it.  I bought the pipe new from my local shop for about $40...

Savinelli Shape Chart Link

My Duca Carlo was my first pipe and it's a great smoker.  I took the balsa wood filter out of it and smoke it without a filter.  Great smoking pipe for the money.  Here's a link to one similiar...

Savinelli Pipe at Cup O Joes

Keep in mind that shooting with a pipe in your mouth like ccavacini does has, in my opinion, more to do with skill/practice than it does the pipe shape.  LOL!  I don't think I could ever shoot with a pipe in my mouth.  That's why I either carry the pipe and then stop to take a smoke break or I smoke a cigar.

I would think, and ccavacini can correct me if I'm wrong, but to hunt with it in your mouth you would be biting the stem quite a bit?  If not then it REALLY takes some skill!

I'll check and see which style it is.  I also have a bent stem (a newer Savinelli) with a balsa filter.  I get some balsa strips from school and cut them to fit the pipe.

The one I hunt with is smaller and textured with no filter.  I'm sure I've posted a picture of it on this thread, but can't seem to find it.  I'll check it out.

I used to hunt with a straight stem Ben Wade) but I bit through the end of the stem on a covey rise...still have the pipe.  It's the one that developed cracks on the outside.

But, trust me, it doesn't take any skill to shoot with the pipe in your mouth.  If you don't know it's there, it won't be in the way.