• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bloodhound

• Breakfast Boy

• ccavacini

• Swampy 16

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The other day I was beat from bushwhacking the grouse woods for a several hours without flushing a bird. I went to the truck sat on the tailgate and packed one of my late father’s  Stanwells with some

While going through some boxes of stuff last evening looking for something unrelated, I came across a full 100g tin of "Frog Morton". What it was doing in a box of sporting goods, I don't know. I was

I was smoking cigars during my long daily commutes and really enjoyed the diversion.  But then cigars became more and more trendy, and with the rise in popularity there was a rapid rise in prices.  Th

Posted Images

Breakfast Boy

Hhhmmm...something else to add to my wish list, thanks!

Had some Lane TK6 in my Savinelli Duca Carlo this evening.

I have not smoked in several years.  Loved my pipes esp about sun down at sea on my Destroyer.   Finished up smoking Captain Black in the white container.   Strong smell of Vanilla and never had anyone complain of the smoke odor..  My favorite pipes are a Jensen I got in Copenhagen and a unnamed pipe I got in London. Its about time to start smoking again....... ???  ???

I got to thinking about my pipes when I read this string. After the a short search, I found the box, for some reason I just put them down one day about 30 years ago and never picked them back up.

When I counted them there were 21 in the box. I cleaned them up and will take photos to share. Now I have to go out and find something I like to smoke and finish the clean up.

A long time pipe smoker told me that the biggest mistake people make starting out is spending too much on tobacco and not enough on the pipe.

A long time pipe smoker told me that the biggest mistake people make starting out is spending too much on tobacco and not enough on the pipe.

That is the truth.  

I still like my corn cob.  It is an honest smoke.  $2.79 each.

I just started breaking in a Viking Classic by Bjorne, I likes a lot so far.  

I like to buy the tobacco by the ounce, 1 maybe 2.  I like to have several on hand, all about the mood.

Breakfast Boy

That is the truth.  

I still like my corn cob.  It is an honest smoke.  $2.79 each.

I just started breaking in a Viking Classic by Bjorne, I likes a lot so far.  

I like to buy the tobacco by the ounce, 1 maybe 2.  I like to have several on hand, all about the mood.

I think you definitely have to have a decent pipe, but my $4 Missouri Meershaum corn cob pipe is a sweet smoker.  I believe you have to pay just as much attention to what tobacco you pick out.  If you pick one out with too much tongue bite, you won't enjoy it.  If you pick one out that is too wet, you might get frustrated trying to keep it going.  I know a few fellas that tried to smoke a pipe but gave it up when they couldn't keep it lit with just one or two matches.  The tobacco shop told me, when I bought my first pipe, to sit down with an entire box of matches and be patient.  Took me some time, but I'm finally able to smoke a bowl with less than four matches.  LOL!

I too buy tobacco by the ounce, since I like to sample so many different flavors.  I'm really enjoying the local shop's Columbian Mocha, so I buy that four ounces at a time.

Breakfast Boy

Here is an article that appeared in our local paper (News Sentinel out of Fort Wayne, IN) today.  Thought it was an interesting read for all of us smokers...

BIG TAX HIKE TO BURN LOCAL SMOKERS

by Kevin Leininger

Normally, John Minnich would cheer a 30 percent jump in sales. After all, business at the downtown Riegel's Pipe and Tobacco Shop hasn't been the same since the city banned smoking in most public places nearly two years ago.

Instead, he knows the temporary boost from customers wanting to beat Wednesday's unprecedented increases in tobacco taxes may simply represent the calm before the storm.

“The government is trying to raise $35 billion over five years (to expand health insurance for children),” and I think this will cause some people to smoke less-expensive cigarettes and cigars,” said Minnich, who manages the store at 624 S. Calhoun St. “With the smoking ban, it's a double whammy. They haven't killed this industry yet, but it kind of sticks in my craw.”

Signed into law by President Obama last month, the tax increases - ranging from 158 percent on snuff, chewing tobacco and cigarettes to more than 2,653 percent on small cigars - are intended to fund an increase in the State Children's Health Insurance Program (SCHIP), administered jointly by the states and the federal government.

Proponents say the increases are appropriate, since the Centers for Disease Control says cigarettes cause 443,000 premature deaths annually and $193 billion in health-related expenses.

But others say the increases will induce some people to stop smoking altogether - good for their health, but not good for a program dependent on ever-increasing revenue from tobacco taxes.

To produce the revenue Congress wants, the conservative Heritage Foundation states, 22.4 million new smokers would be needed by 2017. The Campaign for Tobacco-Free Kids, meanwhile, has estimated the new taxes could produce a drop in smoking among the young of up to 7 percent.

Minnich suspects any new smokers won't be rolling their own cigarettes, thanks to a 2,159 percent tax increase - from $1.10 per pound to $23.68 per pound. The tax on small cigars will go from 4 cents to $1.01 per pack and the tax on large cigars will increase by 722 percent, from a maximum of 5 cents each to as much as 40 cents each. The tax on chewing tobacco will go from 20 cents to 50 cents per pound, snuff from 59 cents to $1.51 per pound.

Between the tax and anticipated increases from producers, Minnich said, the cost of each large cigar could increase by about $1.

Minnich said major cigarette manufacturers raised their prices a few weeks ago in anticipation of the tax increase - pocketing the difference until the increase taxes effect Wednesday. Store owners will not have to pay the tax on large cigars already in stock, he added.

Predictably, Riegel's customers were not pleased by the prospect of higher taxes.

“It's horrible. I've been friends with (Riegel's employees) for 20 years, and if this keeps up it will kill them,” said Jack Overmyer as he bought a pack of Marlboros for his wife.

It cost him $5.40 - or about $1 more than it did before the tax increase.

thornvalley

Here is an article that appeared in our local paper (News Sentinel out of Fort Wayne, IN) today.  Thought it was an interesting read for all of us smokers...

BIG TAX HIKE TO BURN LOCAL SMOKERS

by Kevin Leininger

Minnich suspects any new smokers won't be rolling their own cigarettes, thanks to a 2,159 percent tax increase - from $1.10 per pound to $23.68 per pound. The tax on small cigars will go from 4 cents to $1.01 per pack and the tax on large cigars will increase by 722 percent, from a maximum of 5 cents each to as much as 40 cents each. The tax on chewing tobacco will go from 20 cents to 50 cents per pound, snuff from 59 cents to $1.51 per pound.

Nothing like a good old fashion 2,159 percent tax FREAKIN increase.

Wow. Can you say...Boston Tea Party?

Put THAT in your pipe and smoke it.

Not to turn this thread into a political rant or anything...but I'm expecting a 4 Bazillion Percent Tax increase on my favorite snack cakes any day now. In the immortal words of Ron Provines....$*#&^@*&^%$#!!!!

I heard this the other day, damn shame.  

I will say this, at $5.40 a pack, hell that's cheap.  Come to NY last I saw Cowboy Killers were $7.50 - $8 a pack.  Add the new tax and wow, who the hell would still smoke?

Over the weekend my car was broken into, the punk stole several nice pipes so I need to look for replacements.  

Any suggestions?  Favorite types?

Over the weekend my car was broken into, the punk stole several nice pipes so I need to look for replacements.  

That sucks!

I'm partial to Peterson's myself.  I like Dunhills but they are pretty pricey  so I only have one.  I got a Stanwell that is built very nice but I haven't smoked it yet (I expect it to be very good as they have a good reputation).

Breakfast Boy

That sucks!

I'm partial to Peterson's myself.  I like Dunhills but they are pretty pricey  so I only have one.  I got a Stanwell that is built very nice but I haven't smoked it yet (I expect it to be very good as they have a good reputation).

Sorry to hear about the theft, Matt.  I'll add Savinelli pipes to Jim's list.  Check Ebay for some decent deals on those makes.  Mooney suggested a couple of sellers to me and they have a lot of stuff each week.  I think the one guy's Ebay store was called Pipestud or something like that.  Correct me if I'm wrong, Moondawg.

Mooney, you have a Stanwell that you haven't smoked yet?!?  What are you waiting for??

Breakfast Boy

Well, my younger brother owed me some cash and said he was broke.  I asked him if he still smoked that pipe he bought used from Riegel's last fall.  He laughed and said he didn't, so I offered him a trade.  Instead of a crisp twenty dollar bill (that's right Mooney, I said twenty bucks), I got his pipe.  It's in pretty good shape and I'll be giving it a test run soon.  So add this one to my small collection.

The stamping on one side says...Killarney.

On the other side it says..."A Peterson Product" Made in the Rep. of Ireland

I can officially say I own a Peterson now!

Killarney2.jpg

Killarney.jpg

BB,

Damn good looking pipe.  $20 bucks!  Not bad at all.

Well, good(ish) news.  The State Police caught the 3 boys and I have 2 pipes returned.  Still missing a big ticket item, we'll see how it goes.