OFFICIAL THREAD FOR UJ PIPE SMOKERS!

Breakfast Boy

On 12/28/2018 at 1:35 PM, Bloodhound said:

That will ream out nice!  I like Savanelli's stem work, they always seem to fit me well.  A beauty for sure.  Would you call that a Pot shape?

It's called a Poker.  Here's an explanation--

https://www.tobaccopipes.com/a-complete-guide-to-tobacco-pipe-shapes-almost/#Poker

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bloodhound

• Breakfast Boy

• ccavacini

• Swampy 16

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The other day I was beat from bushwhacking the grouse woods for a several hours without flushing a bird. I went to the truck sat on the tailgate and packed one of my late father’s  Stanwells with some

While going through some boxes of stuff last evening looking for something unrelated, I came across a full 100g tin of "Frog Morton". What it was doing in a box of sporting goods, I don't know. I was

I was smoking cigars during my long daily commutes and really enjoyed the diversion.  But then cigars became more and more trendy, and with the rise in popularity there was a rapid rise in prices.  Th

Posted Images

The Scottish Autumn Flake is a new one to me as well.  I haven't opened it yet, but I will post a review here when I try it.

As to the Billy Bud, I have tried the original version, but the new Blonde version is supposed to be lighter in flavor.  The blends both get a lot of their flavor from cigar leaf...the name is unfortunate in the pot climate of Colorado...

• 2 weeks later...

While going through some boxes of stuff last evening looking for something unrelated, I came across a full 100g tin of "Frog Morton". What it was doing in a box of sporting goods, I don't know. I was ecstatic to find it though. Life is good. 

Do any of you guys use a smoke eater in your man cave or have any exhaust venting when you smoke in the house? I am putting in a man cave in my basement and would like to be able to smoke my pipe in there without getting any complaints from anyone else living in the house.

On ‎1‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 7:37 PM, Jakeismydog2 said:

Do any of you guys use a smoke eater in your man cave or have any exhaust venting when you smoke in the house? I am putting in a man cave in my basement and would like to be able to smoke my pipe in there without getting any complaints from anyone else living in the house.

Good luck with that.  I tried smoke eater candles and a vent and a fan and it still caused issues.  All of my smoking is done outdoors or at a smoke shop. 

I tried to find a tin of Scottish Autumn Flake but have not located it at my usual sources.  Any thoughts where I might find some?

Perk

Smoking is not allowed inside buildings or motor vehicles.  Porches, decks and anywhere else outdoors is just fine.  Rules of the management.  Jacky's parents were heavy cigarette smokers and she hated it.  Pipes and cigars are acceptable but never indoors.

Perk

7 hours ago, salmontogue said:

I tried to find a tin of Scottish Autumn Flake but have not located it at my usual sources.  Any thoughts where I might find some?

Perk

Who makes it?

Here's where I get all my pipes/tobacco.  

https://www.tobaccopipes.com/

7 hours ago, salmontogue said:

Perk

The Scottish Autumn Flake is one I've been wanting to try for a couple years but has not been available here whenever I've looked for it. Perhaps Bloodhound's friend knows of a source? 

All the Gawith tobaccos are OOS at the link he posted and several others I've checked. 

This is for the pipe smoker who already has everything....300 pages about pipe tampers.

The gentleman who wrote it is a customer I've been fishing for about 20 years. At 82 he caught a 120 pound tarpon on fly.He is scheduled to be here in May at the age of 84.He and his family come all the way from Scotland and bring a little bit of Scottish flavor to the Florida Keys.

Here is his book

IMG_1994.JPG.50e13ef054373bbbef4788ee566c23c6.JPGP

And here is Alastair fighting his 120# pound fish. The fish pulled us through the bridge twice. (I rig a special little seat just for him) Alastair is an amazing person.

IMG_1929.thumb.JPG.e3aa49855d6c50df8267bf6caa0fc2a7.JPG

Hopefully somebody out there got some cool pipes/pipe stuff for Christmas and wants to show if off?  Let's see it...

On 1/9/2019 at 2:17 PM, Marc Ret said:

While going through some boxes of stuff last evening looking for something unrelated, I came across a full 100g tin of "Frog Morton". What it was doing in a box of sporting goods, I don't know. I was ecstatic to find it though. Life is good. 

Depending on how old that is (there's a date code on the bottom) they sell well on Ebay, older ones bring close to $100.

2 hours ago, Recoil Rob said:

Depending on how old that is (there's a date code on the bottom) they sell well on Ebay, older ones bring close to $100.

Thanks Rob but it isn't going to make it to EBay, already opened it. I know when I've checked since learning that McClelland was no more, I saw prices for Frog from $60-$80. If they were bringing $500 I might have had to sell it but since that isn't the case, I'll just enjoy watching my $100 go up in smoke. BTW, date code shows it as 2002. 

I pulled this off of Tobacco Reviews:

"Scottish Autumn Pipe Tobacco by Samuel Gawith has the natural ripeness of the long-pressed Virginias. Along with the slow-burn this makes Scottish Autumn a most suitable flake for smoking on its own, or blending with other tobaccos.

Notes: This flake is part of a limited Four Season series in a wild collaboration of Samuel Gawith, Stanislaw and DTM. These flakes are:

Irish Spring Time Flake, English Summer Flake, Scottish Autumn Flake, and Winter Time Flake.

Scottish Autumn Pipe Flake Tobacco is no longer in production." 

So its discontinued.   I love those and dread them too.  I might open it and it might be "The One" and that's it, no more to be found.  I havn't poped this tin yet.  I'll wait for a fishing trip or bird hunt to open it up and give it a try.