OFFICIAL THREAD FOR UJ PIPE SMOKERS!

Breakfast Boy

A guy on another forum is out of the country and short on tobacco, so he made a blend of dried mint leaves and hibiscus.  Said it wasn't bad.  

Anyone here ever smoked any herbs or teas?  (Besides the Colorado weed, etc.)  I've heard of various tea leaves and mint used as minor blend components.  Also a grass called "rabbit tobacco".  My dad used to mention the plant, maypop.  

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bloodhound

• Breakfast Boy

• ccavacini

• Swampy 16

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The other day I was beat from bushwhacking the grouse woods for a several hours without flushing a bird. I went to the truck sat on the tailgate and packed one of my late father’s  Stanwells with some

While going through some boxes of stuff last evening looking for something unrelated, I came across a full 100g tin of "Frog Morton". What it was doing in a box of sporting goods, I don't know. I was

I was smoking cigars during my long daily commutes and really enjoyed the diversion.  But then cigars became more and more trendy, and with the rise in popularity there was a rapid rise in prices.  Th

Posted Images

Ok, anyone ever been to Barclay-Rex tobacco shop in NYC?  Or try any of their house blends? 

Fin2Feather
On 3/4/2020 at 9:35 PM, 1971snipe said:

A guy on another forum is out of the country and short on tobacco, so he made a blend of dried mint leaves and hibiscus.  Said it wasn't bad.  

Anyone here ever smoked any herbs or teas?  (Besides the Colorado weed, etc.)  I've heard of various tea leaves and mint used as minor blend components.  Also a grass called "rabbit tobacco".  My dad used to mention the plant, maypop.  

I remember years ago there was a place where you could mail-order kinnikinnick.  I ordered some and gave it a try but I guess I didn't love it because frankly don't remember anything about it.  From Wikipedia...

Kinnikinnick is a Native American and First Nations herbal smoking mixture, made from a traditional combination of leaves or barks. Recipes for the mixture vary, as do the uses, from social, to spiritual to medicinal.

• 2 weeks later...
Fin2Feather

Come Christmastime I ordered me up a couple tobaccos I thought fit the season - C&D's Corncob Pipe & a Button Nose, and Country Squire's Figgy Pudding.  I must admit that the C&D tin remains unopened...I dunno, sometimes things just happen.  I'll try it one of these days...maybe in July when I'm looking for something to cool me down.  Buy I did try the Figgy Pudding, and I have to say that even thought I've never been much of an aromatic guy, this stuff is GOOD!  It smells heavenly in the pouch; laying on my desk it makes the whole room smell good!  It's smooth, tasty, and with not a bit of the tongue bite or burn that I usually use as the excuse for staying away from aromatics.  Love it!   I might be staying with a "Christmas" tobacco all summer!

Ive bought C&D's Christmas blend each year for the past several years.  The best was a year or two ago, called Jolly ol St Nicholas.  I went through my tin quickly, and wished I'd purchased more with my order.  It quickly sold out. 

Last year's version, Corncob Pipe and Button, etc, is just ok.  I still have half the tin left.  I find that if I light it up then let it sit, and come back to it later, even the next day, then it's a better smoke.  So I leave the tin in my truck, and smoke it in my truck pipe, which facilitates this so called delayed gratification technique, or "dgt".  

• 1 month later...
On 3/23/2020 at 7:15 PM, Fin2Feather said:

Come Christmastime I ordered me up a couple tobaccos I thought fit the season - C&D's Corncob Pipe & a Button Nose, and Country Squire's Figgy Pudding.  I must admit that the C&D tin remains unopened...I dunno, sometimes things just happen.  I'll try it one of these days...maybe in July when I'm looking for something to cool me down.  Buy I did try the Figgy Pudding, and I have to say that even thought I've never been much of an aromatic guy, this stuff is GOOD!  It smells heavenly in the pouch; laying on my desk it makes the whole room smell good!  It's smooth, tasty, and with not a bit of the tongue bite or burn that I usually use as the excuse for staying away from aromatics.  Love it!   I might be staying with a "Christmas" tobacco all summer!

Like a said in my previous post, I have 1/3 to 1/2 tin remaining of the Corncob & Button Nose.  So, today on a grocery run in my truck, I lit up a bowl full.  I have to say that the 4-month rest really did wonders, it really was a good smoke, much better than last Christmas's smoke.  

Rogue Hunter

Somewhere I heard/read that a person might reserve one pipe for a particular tobacco blend. Just out of curiosity, how many pipes does everyone activity smoke?

21 minutes ago, Rogue Hunter said:

Somewhere I heard/read that a person might reserve one pipe for a particular tobacco blend. Just out of curiosity, how many pipes does everyone activity smoke?

Hi, I keep 3 pipes in the truck and I have 30 in my racks in the house.  I have 14 that I use just for English/Oriental blends and the rest for aromatic blends.  For me, I smoke one bowl in each pipe and then switch to another pipe.  They get a good rest in between smokes then.

Nice thread, nice if Brad could make this a separate section on the forum. 

Best,

Greg 

8 minutes ago, gjw said:

Hi, I keep 3 pipes in the truck and I have 30 in my racks in the house.  I have 14 that I use just for English/Oriental blends and the rest for aromatic blends.  For me, I smoke one bowl in each pipe and then switch to another pipe.  They get a good rest in between smokes then.

Nice thread, nice if Brad could make this a separate section on the forum. 

Best,

Greg 

I would agree with that, maybe a mushroom hunting thread also. I consider mushrooms an Upland game. I have one pipe I smoke. Also, I’m not a big fan of aromatic tobacco’s. But then again I’ve only ever smoked a few, like cherry.

I have between 15 and 20 most of the time and I rotated them...I smoke 4 or 5  and when they get in need of a good cleaning they go into the work box and I smoke some others and I clean when I get a day that is nice and I have time and then they all go back onto the ready shelf in the cabinet

48 minutes ago, Bloodhound said:

I have between 15 and 20 most of the time and I rotated them...I smoke 4 or 5  and when they get in need of a good cleaning they go into the work box and I smoke some others and I clean when I get a day that is nice and I have time and then they all go back onto the ready shelf in the cabinet

What’s your cleaning process?

2 hours ago, Swampy 16 said:

What’s your cleaning process?

For pipes that are in my group, in other words, my smoking rotation, I like an inexpensive  Vodka or Bourbon on a barbed pipe cleaner to clean out the stem and draft hole.  I ream the bowl when I clean, I like to leave a very thin layer of cake, but the rest is scrapped out with a cheap reaming tool.  I get the draft opened back up and the tar and cake buildup out, then wipe the bowl with a clean paper towel with a little Vodka or Bourbon on it, wipe the stem and finish the draft hole with soft pipe cleaners dipped in vodka or bourbon till they come out mostly clean...then let air dry and smoke em.

I have different process I use when I get an estate pipe to clean for someone or to add to my pile.  I like to ream them to the wood and do a salt cleaning and use Everclear instead of Vodka or Bourbon.  I just like to get the estate pipes back to a new clean starting place.  Some folks send them off to be OZONE treated...I have heard good things about it, but have never had it done...Walker Pipes offers this service...if you are interested, I can forward you the link

2 minutes ago, Bloodhound said:

For pipes that are in my group, in other words, my smoking rotation, I like an inexpensive  Vodka or Bourbon on a barbed pipe cleaner to clean out the stem and draft hole.  I ream the bowl when I clean, I like to leave a very thin layer of cake, but the rest is scrapped out with a cheap reaming tool.  I get the draft opened back up and the tar and cake buildup out, then wipe the bowl with a clean paper towel with a little Vodka or Bourbon on it, wipe the stem and finish the draft hole with soft pipe cleaners dipped in vodka or bourbon till they come out mostly clean...then let air dry and smoke em.

I have different process I use when I get an estate pipe to clean for someone or to add to my pile.  I like to ream them to the wood and do a salt cleaning and use Everclear instead of Vodka or Bourbon.  I just like to get the estate pipes back to a new clean starting place.  Some folks send them off to be OZONE treated...I have heard good things about it, but have never had it done...Walker Pipes offers this service...if you are interested, I can forward you the link

What’s a barbed pipe cleaner? Also, I guess I could use rubbing alcohol?

1 minute ago, Swampy 16 said:

What’s a barbed pipe cleaner? Also, I guess I could use rubbing alcohol?

Sorry the correct term is Bristle Pipe Cleaners...they have wire bristles woven in with the white cotton fluff.

I wouldn't use rubbing alcohol...I don't use anything to clean that isn't food-safe...I worry about impurities and stuff in rubbing alcohol...I know over cautious...I am not a chemist or pipe builder or doctor...but it just feels safer to me to use only food safe products....As an example, I use olive oil to wipe down my pipe exteriors...not as shinny as waxing but that's ok with me.