OFFICIAL THREAD FOR UJ PIPE SMOKERS!

Breakfast Boy

1 minute ago, Bloodhound said:

Sorry the correct term is Bristle Pipe Cleaners...they have wire bristles woven in with the white cotton fluff.

I wouldn't use rubbing alcohol...I don't use anything to clean that isn't food-safe...I worry about impurities and stuff in rubbing alcohol...I know over cautious...I am not a chemist or pipe builder or doctor...but it just feels safer to me to use only food safe products....As an example, I use olive oil to wipe down my pipe exteriors...not as shinny as waxing but that's ok with me.

Got it, thanks. Is Everclear food grade?😂

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bloodhound

• Breakfast Boy

• ccavacini

• Swampy 16

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The other day I was beat from bushwhacking the grouse woods for a several hours without flushing a bird. I went to the truck sat on the tailgate and packed one of my late father’s  Stanwells with some

While going through some boxes of stuff last evening looking for something unrelated, I came across a full 100g tin of "Frog Morton". What it was doing in a box of sporting goods, I don't know. I was

I was smoking cigars during my long daily commutes and really enjoyed the diversion.  But then cigars became more and more trendy, and with the rise in popularity there was a rapid rise in prices.  Th

Posted Images

Just now, Swampy 16 said:

Got it, thanks. Is Everclear food grade?😂

Lets put it this way...you can drink it...  Its kind of like Samuel Gawith - 1792 Flake  If you do consume it, it will knock you on your butt...but it won't kill you :)

1971snipe

I can vouch for SG1792.  It's knocked me on my butt several times.  Great flavor, smokes great, and you think what a great smoke, and then suddenly youre laying on your left side on the couch, vowing not to try that blend again ever.  I think I've learned my lesson now though, btw.  

Also btw, that 151 rum is very good for swabbing out pipes too.  

Fin2Feather

I just counted; I have 64 pipes (having thinned down from around a hundred), about half of which are in "the rotation"; the rest range from once-in-a-while or "special occasions" to "pretty much never".  My cleaning ritual is limited to running a cleaner through after a smoke, and pulling the stem to clean out the inside of the shank, (and when it's one of my Peterson System pipes, the well).  When a major cleaning is required I use cheap vodka for a cleaning fluid and carnauba wax for the exteriors, but frankly nothing shines a pipe like rubbing it alongside your nose when it's still warm.  I don't use olive oil because it can turn rancid over time, although I suppose if you only use a tiny amount you're probably OK.   I also ream a pipe only when absolutely necessary because I feel that a substantial cake leads to a better smoke and a cooler pipe.  I'm not an all-day or even an every-day smoker any more so cake build up isn't a big problem for me.  I smoke whatever strikes my fancy at the moment in any of them.  I can see where limiting certain pipes to certain tobaccos could be beneficial, but I've just never done it.

When I'm fishing or hunting I might smoke 2-3 bowls a day in the same pipe, but I make sure it's cleaned and well rested afterword.

My main problem is the stems; I must have acid mouth because the ends of my stems are always discolored, even if I'm sure to wipe them down after a smoke.  I do use  a drop of Obsidian Oil on them from time to time and it helps.  I probably should put a buffing wheel on my bench grinder and get some rouge or Tripoli but...

By the way, I did crack my tin of CCP & a BN; was surprised at the cut - not many tobaccos cross-cut like that any more.  I found it pleasant but not great, but then I've only smoked a couple of bowls and I was fishing at the time so it really didn't get my full attention. 

• 4 weeks later...
Fin2Feather

I've just about finished my tin of CCP & a BN.  I found it pleasant enough but nothing outstanding; I probably won't buy another.  I ended up smoking it mostly while fishing; the cut make it real easy to fill your pipe while you have a rod under your arm and lots of other things going on.  Back to my standbys: EG Robinson's Mixture and English stuff; I have a couple of new tins of Rattray's Black Mallory to crack.

I just bought a pouch of this. It was cheap so who knows how it will be. I also bought a pack of Backwoods.0E888274-D572-4D13-BB7D-71AA7E93E404.thumb.jpeg.ae92dd22968e1053afc86a2249eb2224.jpeg

I see Blenders Gold tobacco's and cigars at Walgreens drug stores but never tried them.  I plan to try the EGR though, it looks interesting. 

It’s nothing I’d say run out and buy. Don’t bother. I’m about to try the Backwoods which surprisingly gets great reviews.

Bloodhound

Backwoods used to be a fine smoke...but the last couple of packs I bought were so gooped up with preservative as to be goopy and not pleasant.  Good luck with Swampy and thanks for the heads up on the Blenders Gold...I am guessing it too was goopy :)

2 hours ago, Bloodhound said:

Backwoods used to be a fine smoke...but the last couple of packs I bought were so gooped up with preservative as to be goopy and not pleasant.  Good luck with Swampy and thanks for the heads up on the Blenders Gold...I am guessing it too was goopy :)

The Blenders Gold was just boring ! I’m actually impressed with the Backwoods but I think it needs drying.

On 4/30/2020 at 5:55 AM, Rogue Hunter said:

Somewhere I heard/read that a person might reserve one pipe for a particular tobacco blend. Just out of curiosity, how many pipes does everyone activity smoke?

I've got quite a few, but have settled on rotating 7 of my favorite.

On 4/30/2020 at 5:55 AM, Rogue Hunter said:

Somewhere I heard/read that a person might reserve one pipe for a particular tobacco blend. Just out of curiosity, how many pipes does everyone activity smoke?

On 4/30/2020 at 12:46 PM, Swampy 16 said:

What’s your cleaning process?

I've mentioned this before.  I fill the bowl with sea salt, put a pipe cleaner in the stem, and pour vodka in the bowl.  When the vodka turns brown, the pipe is freshened.   Warning though.....vodka will take the finish off the outside bowl so  be careful

Fin2Feather
On 6/6/2020 at 2:28 PM, ccavacini said:

I've mentioned this before.  I fill the bowl with sea salt, put a pipe cleaner in the stem, and pour vodka in the bowl.  When the vodka turns brown, the pipe is freshened.   Warning though.....vodka will take the finish off the outside bowl so  be careful

Do you do that regularly or just on a used/estate pipe?

1 hour ago, Fin2Feather said:

Do you do that regularly or just on a used/estate pipe?

I rotate through 9 different pipes, although I do smoke my favorites more often.  I'd say each one get refreshed twice a year, or when the taste of the tobacco gets overpowered by the build up.

I prop the pipe up, pour in the salt, add vodka, and watch the salt turn brown.  A pipe cleaner on the stem end prevents the fluid from seeping out.  I keep pouring the vodka in till it's all soaked up by the salt.

• 2 weeks later...
Fin2Feather

G. L. Pease tobaccos.  For those who smoke them, just wondering about some of your favorites.  SmokingPIpes has them on sale and I'm thinking of trying one or two.  Thanks...