• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bloodhound

• Breakfast Boy

• ccavacini

• Swampy 16

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The other day I was beat from bushwhacking the grouse woods for a several hours without flushing a bird. I went to the truck sat on the tailgate and packed one of my late father’s  Stanwells with some

While going through some boxes of stuff last evening looking for something unrelated, I came across a full 100g tin of "Frog Morton". What it was doing in a box of sporting goods, I don't know. I was

I was smoking cigars during my long daily commutes and really enjoyed the diversion.  But then cigars became more and more trendy, and with the rise in popularity there was a rapid rise in prices.  Th

Posted Images

The guy say it was cleaned with a salt bath and sanitized but the bottom of the neck and the opening in the mouth piece were full of dust and crap. I paid $40 to my door. The mouth piece is a bit beat up but I use a soft bite normally anyway so that’s not a deal breaker.

How do you clean the mouth pice that someone else used?  The germiphob in me just can't wrap my head around that.

When I was a kid a neighbor smoked a pipe. The mouth pice was all chewed up.  Can they be replaced easily? 

42 minutes ago, VizslavsBird said:

How do you clean the mouth pice that someone else used?  The germiphob in me just can't wrap my head around that.

When I was a kid a neighbor smoked a pipe. The mouth pice was all chewed up.  Can they be replaced easily? 

They can be sometimes if it’s a well known company like Peterson. As far as sterilization you can just use alcohol. Sometimes just soak in Oxyclean then alcohol on a pipe cleaner in the tube and outside. Test it first to make sure it doesn’t discolor it. Some stems are dyed.

3 hours ago, VizslavsBird said:

The stems can be cleaned and most can be sanitized.  If you wanted a new stem on an old pipe, the pipe makers and repair shops can custom make a stem for any pipe you have.  normal turn around for most shops is 2 weeks.  

I am having a shop in New Mexico repair 2 stems that I broke...don't ask...and one that keeps clogging up.  The estimate for all 3 was $45.

Cleaning stems is easy if they are the newer Lucite variety, just soak in alcohol. Lucite takes a nice shine and is fairly inert. Most current Italian pipes are Lucite.

Old stems, and a lot of current stems used by traditional makers, are Vulcanite, or hard rubber, the stuff bowling balls are made from.

Vulcanite reacts with saliva and turns the black stem a cruddy looking snot brown. They also turn this color from exposure to light. This is what you see most often on old pipes.

911ac1ba6ad68e22bdd1bb4cc13537f2.jpg

This can be cleaned by one of two methods.

You can soak them in a 50/50 Clorox/water solution. As soon as you put it in you will see tiny bubbles and as the yellow Vulcanite dissolves the surface is left rough and matted. Watch carefully and don't overdo it, the entire stem will start dissolve eventually. Also a good idea to put some Vaseline over any inserts, especially metal. You will need to buff the stem with Tripoli, then White compound and finally a good coat of Carnuba which will protect your stem going forward.

The above method requires a motor and some cloth wheels, not a very expensive investment if you are doing this as a business or serious hobby, ( I used 2 double wheel setups from Harbor freight).

The other alternative is a cloth and some stem polish and lots of elbow grease. I've used Barkeepers Friend to get the crud off but you will lose the shine which you can put back on with some polish but only use Carnuba wax, non-toxic.

BTW, a replacement stem on it's own is not prohibitively expensive. But if you want to add a Dunhill White Spot the cost goes up. Some guys can removed inserts from old stems and replace in a new stem.

Sometimes tooth marks and dents can be raised and smoothed over, etc. Just like with guns there are some real talented craftsmen out there.

You may ask why anyone still uses Vulcanite instead of Lucite? Lucite is very hard, almosts clicks on your teeth. Vulcanite is more comfortable.

Finally, best to wipe down your mouthpiece after smoking with a clean rag and water to slow down the crudification.

23 hours ago, VizslavsBird said:

First, quit being a germaphobe - germs don't live that long on the stems.  Anyway, a little cleaning with Everclear (95% alcohol) and any little germies are deader than hell.

Second, stems are replaceable.  I've never had to have one replaced but I have had repairs done by this outfit Norwoods pipe repair and they also replace stems in the $20+ range.  

Even 70% alcohol will kill them deader than a grouse one of Al’s covers. Oh wait, that’s a horrible example.

Thanks for the replies. LOL, nothing kills germs.  This is a fascinating thread.

Love the smell of good tobaccos.  I quit the nicotine addiction years ago and probably couldn't do it again.  

On 10/22/2020 at 4:12 PM, 1971snipe said:

You aren't the gentleman that gave tins of Gentlemen's Mixture to Greg Please, are you?  

Btw, did you have any of the old Bufflehead blends?  

That wasn't me, I still have all my Gentleman's Mixture, will probably be the last to go, that stuff is good.

Sorry, no Bufflehead either.

On 10/22/2020 at 10:55 AM, Fin2Feather said:

If you've got any McClelland's British Woods to move I'd be interested.

Im pretty sure I have a 100 gr tin of British Woods.  I'll confirm and post a pic.  

The other day I was beat from bushwhacking the grouse woods for a several hours without flushing a bird. I went to the truck sat on the tailgate and packed one of my late father’s  Stanwells with some captain black original. I sat a bit, enjoyed the view and the smoke then watched a pheasant cross the road 40 yards away.  I never did fflush that pheasant but I have my dad to thank for experience.

8 minutes ago, Chipnice said:

The other day I was beat from bushwhacking the grouse woods for a several hours without flushing a bird. I went to the truck sat on the tailgate and packed one of my late father’s  Stanwells with some captain black original. I sat a bit, enjoyed the view and the smoke then watched a pheasant cross the road 40 yards away.  I never did fflush that pheasant but I have my dad to thank for experience.

A familiar image and a remembrance of warm thoughts and emotions.

Perk

On 10/22/2020 at 10:55 AM, Fin2Feather said:

If you've got any McClelland's British Woods to move I'd be interested.

100 gr tin, dated 2014.  

IMG_20201026_054954641.jpg