• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bloodhound

• Breakfast Boy

• ccavacini

• Swampy 16

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The other day I was beat from bushwhacking the grouse woods for a several hours without flushing a bird. I went to the truck sat on the tailgate and packed one of my late father’s  Stanwells with some

While going through some boxes of stuff last evening looking for something unrelated, I came across a full 100g tin of "Frog Morton". What it was doing in a box of sporting goods, I don't know. I was

I was smoking cigars during my long daily commutes and really enjoyed the diversion.  But then cigars became more and more trendy, and with the rise in popularity there was a rapid rise in prices.  Th

Posted Images

On 10/27/2020 at 10:04 AM, ccavacini said:

Saving this tin for a special occasion.  Not sure when purchased, but had it for a while.

virgina tobacco.jpg

Almost all McClelland products have a date code on the bottom of the can, the last 2 digits should be the year.

On 10/27/2020 at 10:04 AM, ccavacini said:

Saving this tin for a special occasion.  Not sure when purchased, but had it for a while.

virgina tobacco.jpg

Almost all McClelland products have a date code on the bottom of the can, the last 2 digits should be the year.

4 minutes ago, Recoil Rob said:

2015...Thanks for the information.

I gave up the pipe several years ago. I had probably 25 pipes, most of which originally belonged to my dad. There were some really nice ones in there. I refurbished a few of the best and bought a few of my own too. My brother's a cigar smoker but started messing around with pipes a couple years ago, so I gave them all to him.

But seeing the McClelland tobaccos in this thread just about gets my mouth watering. I used to love St. James Wood. I think I had some of the Virginia #25 at some point too, but don't remember it well. I know they're out of business now. Also liked Pease's Haddo's Delight and Barbary Coast. I had some of the Bohemian Scandal from before the fire too. I'm not a big Latakia fan but did like that pretty well. I also liked Escudo Navy Deluxe quite a bit. I guess VA Perique were my favorites.

So...I think I'm gonna have a little chat with my brother and see if he's ready to give a few of those pipes back :D  I suppose a little pipe smoking in moderation won't hurt anything. 

I keep tins of Haddo's and Navy Flake of some sort around, just for general go-to smokes.  Both are excellent.  

On 11/11/2020 at 10:50 AM, ness said:

So...I think I'm gonna have a little chat with my brother and see if he's ready to give a few of those pipes back :D  I suppose a little pipe smoking in moderation won't hurt anything. 

We had an life insurance guy in our pipe club 20 years ago. He said back then the actuarial tables actually showed pipe smokers lived longer than the general population. More relaxed?

2 hours ago, Recoil Rob said:

We had an life insurance guy in our pipe club 20 years ago. He said back then the actuarial tables actually showed pipe smokers lived longer than the general population. More relaxed?

No, not really 😄

I think the science is pretty clear on this one. It’s a risk. A little probably won’t hurt. Or it might. Different outcomes for different folks. 

6 hours ago, ness said:

No, not really 😄

I think the science is pretty clear on this one. It’s a risk. A little probably won’t hurt. Or it might. Different outcomes for different folks. 

I think ness said it right there, however when I stopped cigars and went to the pipe all my numbers dropped. Blood sugar, blood pressure, cholesterol, all of it. Maybe it’s all the grouse I eat? 

13 minutes ago, Swampy 16 said:

I think ness said it right there, however when I stopped cigars and went to the pipe all my numbers dropped. Blood sugar, blood pressure, cholesterol, all of it. Maybe it’s all the grouse I eat? 

Nah  It's the group where you hang out.

Perk

On 11/12/2020 at 9:44 PM, ness said:

No, not really 😄

For the most part I’ll only smoke the pipe after I manage to shoot something therefore I’m not at risk.

I was smoking cigars during my long daily commutes and really enjoyed the diversion.  But then cigars became more and more trendy, and with the rise in popularity there was a rapid rise in prices.  The $2 Prince Philip Cafe went for $3, then $4, and suddenly they were $6 or $7.  I backed way off.  

Then a guy at a shop gave me a deal on a very good basket pipe, along with several tobacco samples.  I found that I spent less time actually smoking, and more time messing with the pipe and lighter.  Sometimes I just held the pipe in my mouth, driving on the freeway in my zone.  People would tell me they saw me on the freeway and honked at me but I never looked, just drove along, holding my pipe.  

Now that I'm retired, a smoke has become more of a special occasion for me.  After a hunt, on a trip, or after a big meal, like Thanksgiving next week.  It'll be hard, choosing just the right tobacco.  

• 2 weeks later...

Well, late one night a couple weeks ago I got to Googling....Kinda renewed my interest in the pipe after about a 5 year hiatus. 

Bought a Peterson bent apple, some G.L. Pease Haddo's Delight and Stratford. The plan is to be an occasional smoker -- maybe every couple days. Initial tongue bite is behind me. I like both of the tobaccos, but have a couple mild aromatics on the way too: Lane 1-Q and BCA. Both new to me but popped up on a list of popular ones.

I'm remembering another reason I enjoyed it before: a few minutes out on the deck without a TV, phone or computer cluttering up my mind.  

95% of my pipe smoking is while I'm either fishing or hunting.  Bit through a couple of stems on covey rises.

Straight stem won't work if you're hunting....need it curved (bent)so it doesn't get in the way.

And, yes, you can shoot with a pipe in your mouth.  Trust me.

Well, I guess I’ll do a review of one of the aromatic tobaccos that arrived today: Lane 1-Q. 

Very mild but awfully sweet. I say this versus Haddo’s is like a choice between a bowl of Frosted Flakes or a bowl of gumbo. It tasted pretty good at first but I tired of it quickly. I missed the deep, bold, kinda spicy flavor of the VA/periques.